Worklog CopiiBoy rev2

Portables
No, this portable will not transfer protein from the rough endoplasmic reticulum. (haha)

Out of excitement for the release of the Wiiboy rev3 kits, I have decided to try and make a Wiiboy by hand using old skool frankencasin'.
This project will use a DMG Gameboy housing that is cleaned out and reconstructed from the bones.
Game-Boy-FL.jpg
I have tried this before when I didn't have much knowledge of portablizing. This time, it’s based on Gman’s Wiiboy revision 2 which used 3ds sliders and triggers more out to the side. however, I won’t be using an LMAO trim. I feel that I can learn the most by simply replicating what I see, so I will be using all of Gman's Wiiboy work logs as references.

This portable will use almost all of the BitBuilt products:
-WiiPMS
-Pd charger
-u-amp
-GC+
-Dual tact buttons

And of course, there will be other ingredients for this portable:
-3.5 VGA display
-2 18650 batteries
-OMGWTF trimmed Wii
-DMG Gameboy housing
-3DS housings for the sliders and dpad
-MadCatz micro controller for small ABXY buttons

I’m going to try to update this anytime I make progress, please ask me if you have any questions, write if you have advice, and stay tuned!

[(:]

15C1D1A1-E5B3-49A9-BC3E-F07C0E215F8C.jpeg88C30D06-6E49-4E2B-BE34-4AADDFE134BD.jpeg70481C70-DADD-45EE-B7BB-C751EC554CA1.jpeg55589F67-4937-4715-8172-F34895B037B1.jpeg
572D54E5-A135-4E26-A88D-2ED15A33EF87.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow! Nice work! I think frankencasing is a really cool thing to do and takes quite a bit of skill. But I know it wouldn't look nearly as good if I did it.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
hell yeahr! nice to see some g'old frankencasing! nice work so far, little bit more sanding and this thing is gonne be sick!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Made a lot of progress today, and also realized my downfalls of not planning ahead. Is it wrong I feel bad for using a lot of hot glue? 0_0 still gonna get this boy done soon!
View attachment 10462 View attachment 10463
In a frankencase job like that I wouldn't feel bad. Even if you spent the time precision epoxying in screwposts, you can't reasonably accomodate all the parts that way, and other glues are too hard to remove if anything needs repair. At the very least, using hot glue means you can pretty easily reuse the internals for a 3D printed case later if you ever decide to go that route.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Try a different input source and see if the lines still appear. If they do, then it's the screen. If they don't appear, then something is up with your Wii.

Portables
Try a different input source and see if the lines still appear. If they do, then it's the screen. If they don't appear, then something is up with your Wii.
I tried another screen and it seems it’s the Wii causing those lines, I’m going to try to hookup the usb and see if it’s the same result

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Someone else just actually recently had that issue, it seems to be some sort of combination of Wii and that particular screen, @StonedEdge might have something to add.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Someone else just actually recently had that issue, it seems to be some sort of combination of Wii and that particular screen, @StonedEdge might have something to add.
I suffered the same white lines on the same screen (assuming it’s the 3.5” VGA 320x240 panel) just yesterday using composite. What was weird is that, when you connect a USB and boot postloader the issue seems to go away and the colours look fine.

With VGA the issue is gone entirely. I did have to turn down the green levels once I did the VGA mod though, as they were too high and made whites look pink. Maybe Gman or Noah could comment as they have used the same screen in their projects.

Portables
I suffered the same white lines on the same screen (assuming it’s the 3.5” VGA 320x240 panel) just yesterday using composite. What was weird is that, when you connect a USB and boot postloader the issue seems to go away and the colours look fine.

With VGA the issue is gone entirely. I did have to turn down the green levels once I did the VGA mod though, as they were too high and made whites look pink. Maybe Gman or Noah could comment as they have used the same screen in their projects.
yeah I just wired up the usb and it works fine, that sure is odd