Question Good heatsink for portable

Hi so I decided that my first Wii portable is going to be a Gwii rev 2. I wanted to know what heatsink to use with it. Any help is appreciated

Well, GMan says to use a 70mm by 35mm coper sheet. If you haven't already, look on Digikey, Adafruit Industries, and even eBay for heatsinks matching those dimensions (also check some forums to see the width). The other way is by pretty much torturing the Wii heatsink by hammering and sawing/maybe dremeling it. I suspect that the last way probably isn't what you're going to do though because of all the time and tools necessary.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi so I decided that my first Wii portable is going to be a Gwii rev 2. I wanted to know what heatsink to use with it. Any help is appreciated
Well, GMan says to use a 70mm by 35mm coper sheet. If you haven't already, look on Digikey, Adafruit Industries, and even eBay for heatsinks matching those dimensions (also check some forums to see the width). The other way is by pretty much torturing the Wii heatsink by hammering and sawing/maybe dremeling it. I suspect that the last way probably isn't what you're going to do though because of all the time and tools necessary.
To elaborate: a 35x35mmx8mm heatsink and a 35x35x8mm metal housed blower fan is enough to cool a Wii provided you put the heatsink on the GPU and the fan on the CPU.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I used these 40mm guys a lot on Wii's:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40mm-Alumi...113361?hash=item1cd431bb91:g:UMwAAOxyBjBTTrx4

40mm_fan_heatsink.jpg

You can use them on the GPU, with a little heatsink on the CPU. or if you do it right, it easily cools the Wii's GPU+CPU! if you have a good air flow, ofc... anyways, they are really quiet on 5V (even the 12v versions should work at 5V). IMHO more silent & chill then the 30mm ones. Plus you get them for cheap on ebay by searching "40mm fan heatsink"..

I tried the CPU+GPU cooling on the Wii-Nano and it was running cool for whole MGC weekend!

bitbuild.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I used these 40mm guys a lot on Wii's:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40mm-Alumi...113361?hash=item1cd431bb91:g:UMwAAOxyBjBTTrx4

View attachment 10445

You can use them on the GPU, with a little heatsink on the CPU. or if you do it right, it easily cools the Wii's GPU+CPU! if you have a good air flow, ofc... anyways, they are really quiet on 5V (even the 12v versions should work at 5V). IMHO more silent & chill then the 30mm ones. Plus you get them for cheap on ebay by searching "40mm fan heatsink"..

I tried the CPU+GPU cooling on the Wii-Nano and it was running cool for whole MGC weekend!

Can confirm any similar aftermarket chinesium CPU cooler of that size will do the job, but you'll have to modify the case a little to accomodate the different sizing. The mounting channel in the G-Wii is designed to use one of these sinks and this type of fan under a copper plate like the one linked in the G-Wii CAD thread.