Worklog Gman's MGC64 thing

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Damn, there is no brakes on this G-Train...

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
amazing, 5 inch screen?

and filament is PLA?

need right now a 3d printer and lessons of how to make a clamshell portable haha.
Yup and yup.

It's no different from any other portable design. Think about how it will work, draw some sketches on paper, then do it for real.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I focused on editing the case to bring the initial concept to something that is dimensionally accurate and possible to build. This incuded adding extra buttons for volume control / power on the front of the case. The thickness was adjusted until it looked possible to fit.

Then I whipped up a PCB with N64PMS, UAMP n64, USBC PD, and N64+.

There's 3 PIC mcus on the pcb which may seem a bit overkill. I could've absorbed the uamp mcu but chose to keep it this way since I already have working code and don't have to mess with the voltage sources (uamp is powered from 3v3, n64pms mcu from battery).

Annotation 2020-02-16 163905.png
Annotation 2020-02-16 163901.png
Annotation 2020-02-16 163854.png

Depending on the board revision does this sort of relocation still require the 2k resistor?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Depending on the board revision does this sort of relocation still require the 2k resistor?
the "2k resistor fix" is relocating a pull up resistor on the PIF. There are actually a handful of pullups on the PIF and they are all required.

Oh ok. I didn't see any resistors on your board so I had to ask
You're advances in knowledge is making Nintendo look bad lol
MGC sounds badass I'd like to go to one sometime

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The all-in-one pcb arrived. All working. I made one routing error but I was able to solder the component creatively to work, can you spot it?

The test fit is all good, now I'm swapping the shell pieces to the final color. I also have to wire up the ultravga.

20200308_112750.jpg

Portables
That poor n64 mother board, what have you done to it.

That is amazing, i legit couldn't spot the PIF at first, it fits so well there!

I hope all what you did end up in the guides cause i really want to make one of those!

Great job!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
That poor n64 mother board, what have you done to it.

That is amazing, i legit couldn't spot the PIF at first, it fits so well there!

I hope all what you did end up in the guides cause i really want to make one of those!

Great job!
There will be a guide this year for sure (After MGC and GBoy frenzy passes). Even for myself lol. I trimmed it in 2 stages. First the PIF, then the cart slot area. When I trimmed the second part I accidentally rewired one of the pif wires to wrong cart slot pin. It took me a little while to figure it out.