Worklog First Wii Portable

Soon, from now to summer, I plan to build my Wii Portable. It will have a 4.3" av Screen, video out through HDMI (for compatibility), GameCube buttons/ L and R, 3ds sliders, Sterio speakers and 3.5mm jack (using UAmp), 4 GameCube controller inputs, USB C charging, USB A game data and more.

Parts:
  • Panasonic18650B Batteries ×4 (Tested online with capacity of 3Ah each)
  • Wii 4 layer motherboard (OMGWTF trim)
  • Small 35mm*35mm heatsink
  • 35mm*35mm*4mm 5v fan
  • Av 4.3" backup camera screen (5v)
  • UAmp from Bitbuilt store
  • 8ohm 800 milliwatt speakers ×2
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Wii PMS board from Bitbuilt store
  • 34 gauge magnet wire
  • 200 pack tactile push buttons
  • Dual tact push buttons ×2 from Bitbuilt store
  • 3ds slider stick and rubber grip
  • GC+ board from Bitbuilt store
  • RCA to HDMI converter (for compatibility only, not quality)
  • GCN controller for parts
  • USB C female connector for charging
  • 12v barrel female connector for charging
  • On off switches
  • RGB lights
  • Heatsink paste
  • 22 gauge and 26 gauge wire
  • Micro SanDisk SD card with Kingston adapter
  • Either a video amp or video splitter (I don't know if the video splitter will work)
Tools:
  • Triwing screwdriver
  • Dremel
  • Many different grits of sandpaper
  • Soldering Iron
  • Solder
  • Flux
  • Borrowed 3d printer
This what I have so far, but I still have to work on a good case design. I'm holding this off until I but and receive the parts. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks Stitches, I didn't see anywhere where it said Samsung so I thought I was good to go.

Literally in the Same boat, waiting for my parts to ship in the coming month I have soft modded the wii and have the board out of the casing and as for the portable shell I'm using the ascii controller with a 7in screen. I'm calling it asciwii

Nice, a 7 inch screen takes alot of power at 12v do you have that figured out? Bitbuilt has a guide on how to lower most driver board's voltages too.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks Stitches, I didn't see anywhere where it said Samsung so I thought I was good to go.
Yeah the USB thread mentions not to use Sandisk cards. Samsung Evos are the most reliable.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So, a few weeks back I watched an old stream on YouTube from Noah. I was particularly focusing on power wiring and where to put different inputs and this is what I could make of it. https://photos.app.goo.gl/NtF1ffzmJqRbEzE67
It's a bit sloppy but the black dot is each input. How correct is this?
By the way here is where my reasoning is from

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2QecZnDbJc1NB8eT7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQs3uk7Q5BMDDa1b8

Edit: Images didn't show up so I added links
That's correct. There's a prettier diagram for that in the trimming guide, but it doesn't show 1.8v. Your 1.8v marking is correct.

Yeah the USB thread mentions not to use Sandisk cards. Samsung Evos are the most reliable.
Noah told me on stream that he's only ever used Sandisk cards and never had a problem with them. But that's what worked for him at least.

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Multiple people have used standard SanDisk cards without issue. The only problem with SanDisk that I know of is that the Nintendo Switch brand ones don't run Wii games for whatever reason, so I'd avoid those.

I might hold off on ordering the parts until after my Birthday at the end of February, how quickly do you think the Wii PMS board and Uamp will sell out?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I might hold off on ordering the parts until after my Birthday at the end of February, how quickly do you think the Wii PMS board and Uamp will sell out?
Fairly quickly, but there will be a restock not long after.

• Either a video amp or video splitter (I don't know if the video splitter will work)
I’m pretty new to this, and I came here to try and get an idea of the stuff that I would need to make a Wii portable, so I was just wondering what the “video amp or video splitter” is for.

I’m pretty new to this, and I came here to try and get an idea of the stuff that I would need to make a Wii portable, so I was just wondering what the “video amp or video splitter” is for.
They are to output video to both the screen and other source at the same time (like a Wii U except wired)