Worklog Wii Slate Mini

Noah

retired
Portables
So, after nearly 4 years after Wii portables became a thing I'm finally ready and comfortable enough to begin work on a fully CAD designed portable of my own. Some of you who are active in the discord may have seen little teasers here and there of this project, but this is most likely where I will be posting all of my larger updates going forward.

This is what I'm calling the PiiWii Pocket Wii Slate Mini:
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 8.33.23 PM.png

The goal of this portable is to create a clean, minimalistic and elegantly designed unit with comfortable controls and a small pocketable footprint. It's going to feature a 3.5" 640x480 IPS display driven by @Aurelio's wonderful direct drive LCD controller. A custom flex cable will be used in order to connect the video and digital audio signals from the Wii to the front half of the portable. Here are a list of the features that I plan to build into the portable:

• 3.5" 640x480 IPS display utilizing Aurelio's direct drive board
  • Fully integrated GC+ 2.0 controller PCBs connected together via FFC cables (I actually have in my very humble opinion what I believe to be a neat way to hide most of the cables in the front half)
  • Digital audio via the I2S on the Wii using the LM49450
  • Wii PMS (of course, thanks Gman!!) with charging via a custom layout version of the USB-C board found on the store
  • 2x 18650 Li-Ion cells for roughly 3 hours of play time
  • LMAO-style Wii trim with no AVE and the NAND relocated via a NAND flex relocation board
I would like to thank a few people whose work has made working on this project a lot easier and without them it would not be possible for me to put this thing together. (In no particular order)

@Gman - Both for inspiration from the WiiBoy project due to the cleanliness of the internals and ease of assembly thanks to the tight integration with all of the custom PCBs, and for open sourcing the G-Wii case files (one of my all-time favorite portables) so that I could truly begin to better understand how to craft a half-decent portable case using CAD. Hopefully I can do you proud with this one!

@Aurelio - For his advancements he's brought thus far to the portablizing scene. Without him we'd still be using GCVideos to get VGA out on our portables and having to wire up the WiFi module each time we trim a board! We're all seriously forever indebted to you for your amazing work.

@GingerOfOz - For open sourcing the Louii files, another great reference and point of inspiration for this design. Hi, can u talk?

@jefflongo - For saving me unmeasurable amounts of time thanks to your vast collection of free Fusion 360 models. I can't thank you enough for releasing all of those for the community to use! Truly an amazing resource for anyone looking to build a portable with common parts.

Can't say for sure when I will update this thread due to the fact that MGC is only 2.5 months away!! This is not a project I had intended to finish by the convention,

but whenever I have updates I will be sure to post them here!

Wow Noah! You as well as many others here on bit built are truly inspirational. I hope one day I can design my own portable like you. I'm very happy I became a part of this community.

Looks amazing! I can't wait to see your progress and excited for the finished product! If anyone can do it, it's you!

Last edited:

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Damn, looks very comfortable and ergonomically the portable looks great. Nice work Noah, we demand frequent nudes... oh and the files someday so ClonedEdge can build one heh lol

Noah

retired
Portables
Damn, looks very comfortable and ergonomically the portable looks great. Nice work Noah, we demand frequent nudes... oh and the files someday so ClonedEdge can build one heh lol
Thanks!! I plan to at least open source a version of the files. I'm not sure that the direct drive version would be possible for everyone due to the fact that it will require a custom flex that will be expensive enough as is to produce for the couple units I plan to build (a prototype to make sure the design is good and then a "final" version that will be wet-sanded and be the "definitive" version of the portable) but I do think that it would be very easy to spin a new design that uses the VGA patches and a U-AMP so that anyone who wants to build one can! :D

Thankfully the rest of the boards can remain unchanged for that, but I won't be offering completed sets or anything so anyone brave enough to try and build a portable I designed can probably just assemble them themselves :P

Timo43

I am genuinely excited to see this finished. This is gonna be such a cool portable when complete (imo and hopefully others opinions). I have a couple questions on some parts in this if you don’t mind answering. What is different from GC+ 2.0 and 1.0? What are some features of Aurelio’s direct drive board? Finally, how are you going to get 3hrs of play time with 2 batteries? iirc you need 4 batteries to get around this amount of playtime on most wii portables right? Is it the screen size that uses so much less power? Thanks in advance, and awesome work in general for all you do for and with portablizing :)

Noah

retired
Portables
I am genuinely excited to see this finished. This is gonna be such a cool portable when complete (imo and hopefully others opinions). I have a couple questions on some parts in this if you don’t mind answering. What is different from GC+ 2.0 and 1.0? What are some features of Aurelio’s direct drive board? Finally, how are you going to get 3hrs of play time with 2 batteries? iirc you need 4 batteries to get around this amount of playtime on most wii portables right? Is it the screen size that uses so much less power? Thanks in advance, and awesome work in general for all you do for and with portablizing :)
Thanks!

GC+ 2.0 uses a new IC with built in pull-up resistors so the back of the PCB is complete barren. It also has a completely rewritten firmware which means Aurelio will be able to do far more with it and have an easier time keeping it up to date. Aside from that it includes support for LRA motors for rumble (the type most cellphones use nowadays) along with a few extra voltage and ground pads for neater internal wiring.

There really aren't "features" of the direct drive board other than it's badass. It completely negates the need to have a normal display driver in your portable and is the cleanest video you will ever be able to get on a portable Wii since it's all purely digital, no digital to analog to digital conversion at all!

You can get ~5 hours on 4 18650s using the PMS. This won't have exactly 3 hours of battery life, probably slightly less. However, the direct drive board should have a lower power consumption that a standard board since the circuit is far smaller and there are less components to suck up that precious juice.

Timo43

Thanks!

GC+ 2.0 uses a new IC with built in pull-up resistors so the back of the PCB is complete barren. It also has a completely rewritten firmware which means Aurelio will be able to do far more with it and have an easier time keeping it up to date. Aside from that it includes support for LRA motors for rumble (the type most cellphones use nowadays) along with a few extra voltage and ground pads for neater internal wiring.

There really aren't "features" of the direct drive board other than it's badass. It completely negates the need to have a normal display driver in your portable and is the cleanest video you will ever be able to get on a portable Wii since it's all purely digital, no digital to analog to digital conversion at all!

You can get ~5 hours on 4 18650s using the PMS. This won't have exactly 3 hours of battery life, probably slightly less. However, the direct drive board should have a lower power consumption that a standard board since the circuit is far smaller and there are less components to suck up that precious juice.
Thanks for the response!