Solved How expensive would a case be if this is the cost per gram?

Hi there, I'm trying to figure out how expensive it would be to make the shell of my wii portable.
My local library offers 3d printing services however they don't give an estimate for the price if you give them the dimensions.

They do it by weight in grams. Although I don't know anything about the material used and how many grams an average shell/case would weigh to do the math.

I guess my question is, does anyone know how many grams with these kind of materials an average shell for a wii portable would cost? I guess lets say maybe if I were to make a case similar to the WiVision's design and size what would a good estimate of that be. I really want to start this project but I need to figure out how much it would total to. Will 3d printing take me above $300?

Here's an image of the pricing.
3d printing cost.PNG

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
IIRC the cases I've printed in the past were around 200-400g, but if you're designing your own as opposed to doing an already made case I would strongly suggest getting your own printer and filament, as you will save yourself the headache of testing different parts for fitment taking a ton of time and money

IIRC the cases I've printed in the past were around 200-400g, but if you're designing your own as opposed to doing an already made case I would strongly suggest getting your own printer and filament, as you will save yourself the headache of testing different parts for fitment taking a ton of time and money
Problem is, I don't have the money to just spend on a 3d printer and my own filament. I was thinking I could maybe use a GBA housing shell.

Actually last night I found this GBA hard case. I'd have to carve the holes myself so I'd need to take my time with it. Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Problem is, I don't have the money to just spend on a 3d printer and my own filament. I was thinking I could maybe use a GBA housing shell.

Actually last night I found this GBA hard case. I'd have to carve the holes myself so I'd need to take my time with it. Here's a link to what I'm talking about.
There are a lot of ways to get a 3D printed case without owning a 3D printer. Several people on the forums offer 3D printing services, as well, there are online services. You could frankencase out of the GBA shell (it's been done before), however, I would suggest you go the 3D printed route (perhaps subjectively). With a 3D printed case, you don't have to do any cutting/gluing and you get the added benefit of adding things such as screwposts to your case for a clean design.

There are a lot of ways to get a 3D printed case without owning a 3D printer. Several people on the forums offer 3D printing services, as well, there are online services. You could frankencase out of the GBA shell (it's been done before), however, I would suggest you go the 3D printed route (perhaps subjectively). With a 3D printed case, you don't have to do any cutting/gluing and you get the added benefit of adding things such as screwposts to your case for a clean design.
Thanks for your input, I might just try to do that then. I've messaged @Noah and @Matthew because I heard they do 3d printing services. I'll be waiting patiently for their response!