Question Noob here, looking for some forums that can get me started on wii portables.

Timo43

Hey! So I checked out the wii trimming guide and have a general idea of how to make a wii portable (looked at a work log) but some forums about the specifics of certain parts of the process (mainly wiring and where everything connects to) would be useful as I have very little electronic experience. I’ve looked around BitBuilt some but I couldn’t find any. Does anyone have some forums that could help? Also, if you have made a wii portable, about how much should I expect it to cost? (Ballpark, I know it might vary massively) Finally, are PMS board and GC+ board needed? Is there a way to make a portable without them? Sorry for the newbie questions, and thanks for reading/answering this!

Portables
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-definitive-wii-trimming-guide.198/ this pretty much contains all the information of where all the wires go to so not sure what kind of different forum you are looking for.

As for costs it depends on what you already have / are willing to spend i would say. do you already have a soldering iron and what not?
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portablizing-bom.367/ the bitbuilt BOM has some stuff listed so you can ballpark it a little. Still working on my portable but i think i spend around 300+ euros already but had to get a new iron too.

You could technically use PTH's instead of the PMS but the PMS seems to be to easier and go to way.

Timo43

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-definitive-wii-trimming-guide.198/ this pretty much contains all the information of where all the wires go to so not sure what kind of different forum you are looking for.

As for costs it depends on what you already have / are willing to spend i would say. do you already have a soldering iron and what not?
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portablizing-bom.367/ the bitbuilt BOM has some stuff listed so you can ballpark it a little. Still working on my portable but i think i spend around 300+ euros already but had to get a new iron too.

You could technically use PTH's instead of the PMS but the PMS seems to be to easier and go to way.
Thank you! I, being a curious fellow, went to the 6 layer expansion, since I have a 6 layer, after only looking over the general trim. I completely overlooked the rest of the guide.
I also don’t really want to buy a $65 part for some features that I don’t need and PTH doesn’t seem too hard so I am probably going to go with that.

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Keep in mind, the PMS contains a battery management system. So you will need to find a solution for that if you decide to go with the PTH regulators. In addition, a 6 layer board will have around half the battery life and produce around twice as much heat compared to a 4 layer, so they are not really recommended for a portable.

Timo43

Portables
The pms is also a good option to save space inside your portable as the bms is smaller than the red board jefflongo linked.

Do keep in mind tho that you also need some resistors and capacitors for the PTH but it's indeed a little cheaper than a PMS, woudnt say it's worth it tho

Timo43

The pms is also a good option to save space inside your portable as the bms is smaller than the red board jefflongo linked.

Do keep in mind tho that you also need some resistors and capacitors for the PTH but it's indeed a little cheaper than a PMS, woudnt say it's worth it tho
What are the capacitors used in? I thought it was just 1v, 1.15v, 3.3v, and 5v regulators. Edit: and 1.5v

Last edited: