4:3 Screens

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and made my way here seeing some incredible stuff posting to YT.

I understand the focus is mainly for portable systems, but I have a question about 4:3 screens and your knowledge from experience.

You modders must have shopped for screens all throughout the web. Do large 4:3 lcd screens exist anywhere? By large I mean anything larger than 21 inches (~53cm). 21 seems to be the limit from refurbed monitors.

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
21" was the max for 4:3 before 16:9 and 1080p widescreens began to become more practical in the late 2000's. HD kinda killed the square frame and went forever rectangle from there.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
21" was the max for 4:3
[Laughs in CRT]
You can get 36" and 40" CRTs in 4:3, but that's proooooobably not what you are looking for.

Consumer TV standards went widescreen before they transitioned to rear projection and LCD, so you will be hard pressed to find a consumer LCD with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Consumer TV monitors continued to use 4:3 for a while, even after the transition to LCD, so those do exist. Unfortunately, PC LCD panels aren't anywhere near as big as TV panels, so you will be hard pressed to find larger ones. There may be niche and specialty ones, but I don't know of any applications that would use them.

What is the intended use for this screen? You may be better off using a 16:9 with bars. To this day projectors are made that are 4:3, so that might be an option.

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
[Laughs in CRT]
You can get 36" and 40" CRTs in 4:3, but that's proooooobably not what you are looking for.
I was aware of that, but I was referring to flat panels specifically as I'm sure you were also aware. haha!