Worklog The Proto-Boy

Portables
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to my first Wii portable work log!!! This portable is heavily based off Gman’s Wiiboy but I like to pretend I don’t know 3D printing exists, so I’m handcrafting almost the entire thing!

upload_2019-11-6_10-44-0.jpeg

upload_2019-11-6_10-44-7.jpeg

This portable is going to be based on the look of the Prototype GameCube controller, hence the name ProtoBoy, but mine WILL have a DPad
upload_2019-11-6_10-45-8.jpeg

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
This looks awesome so far, I'll be watching this one!

Noah

retired
Portables
Damn looks nice man. The trigger setup looks pretty flat from the inside, are you going to try and fit 4 battery cells inside or only 2?

BocuD

Portables
I like how you're doing everything the old way with frankencasing! Don't see that very often anymore. Looking forward to the end result :D

Portables
Damn looks nice man. The trigger setup looks pretty flat from the inside, are you going to try and fit 4 battery cells inside or only 2?
Thank you sir! It’s probably going to only have 2 cells, with the omgwtf trim inside, it doesn’t have a lot of room

I like how you're doing everything the old way with frankencasing! Don't see that very often anymore. Looking forward to the end result :D
Thank you! Love your Swiitch btw, Very badass

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I was thinking Gman could help out with this question, but smoke just came out of the wiipms, what should I do? I undid the power switch and used alligator cables, it appears to work fine but what the hell went wrong?
A short probably, something conductive touched something it shouldn't. I'd be careful with that PMSnow, if you got magic smoke out of it, 90% something important on it is dead.

Portables
A short probably, something conductive touched something it shouldn't. I'd be careful with that PMSnow, if you got magic smoke out of it, 90% something important on it is dead.
Just from the picture I see the hole in that chip... Unfortunately you'll need a hot air station to replace that chip, which is mandatory for the pms to work
I’m probably just going to order another pms, but I need to figure out what caused it before I do it again, do y’all think it could’ve been from reversed positive and negative from the battery? I’m thinking I read the pin out wrong for the power switch

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I’m probably just going to order another pms, but I need to figure out what caused it before I do it again, do y’all think it could’ve been from reversed positive and negative from the battery? I’m thinking I read the pin out wrong for the power switch
Yes if the battery was connected backwards, it would certainly blow the chip.

Keep the PMS for now, perhaps in the future youd be able to repair it.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 9785Just Spray painted it, eh idk how I feel about it but I think that I need to accept it XD what do y’all think?
If you aren't happy with the finish, you can sand it and respray. Sand it and respray until you have the desired surface finish, but that takes quite a while and the paint needs to fully dry in between coats. I think it's not a bad paint job.