Solved My Understanding Plan

Portables
Hey guys, so I’ve made an entire plan on how I'm going to build my first portable and I want as much criticism as possible! Check it out:

Build the Case
  • Plan out where each component will go
    • Wii MB
    • Gman’s PMS and PD charger
    • Screen
    • Amp and speakers
    • Batteries
    • GC+ and Controls (buttons, 3DS circle pads, d-pad, triggers)
    • Heatsink and fan

Prepare all of the boards
  • Prepare the Wii MB
    • Relocate the U10, MX Chip, and bluetooth module
    • Trim the Wii to OMGWTF
  • Wire GMan’s PMS
    • Connect to GMan’s USB C PD charger
    • Connect power button, LED, Thermo sensor
    • Connect PMS to batteries (using small plugs I can unplug and replug)
  • Wire Pms to the Wii MB
    • Connect the 3 power cables to the correct points to give the wii power

Place components into the case and wire them
  • Power the GC+ using the 3.3v from the PMS and connect to the p1 data cable on the wii
  • Power the amp and speakers using the 5v from the PMS and connect the speakers to the audio out of the Wii
  • Connect the screen to a 12v source and connect to the video out of the Wii
  • Connect the cooling fan to 5v source and heatsink
My questions are:
  1. How can I power my 12v screen? (It is called a BW 3.5 inch TFT LCD monitor on amazon) I’ve read a review that someone modified it to run off 5v but didn't say how
  2. Can i power multiple things off of one source? (Amp, Fan, Speakers all from the 5v output on the PMS?)
  3. Am I missing anything crucial?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Sounds like a good plan. Regarding the batteries, if you just use header pins which from your description sounds like you were going to do for quick disconnection, they may not be thick enough to sustain the current from the batteries. You might use a power switch as a temporary solution until you know your system works. Alternatively just use a lithium ion battery holder.

1) There is a guide in the guide hub on how to power arbitrary screens on lower voltages. I will say that 3.5" is quite small for a portable, and probably doesn't support vga. If that's something you're interested in you may look into using a different display. 5" is pretty common.

2) Of course you can, whether or not you daisychain them, or connect them all to the same location on the PMS, they are connected in parallel and thus as long as the total current consumption does not exceed the rating of the 5v regulator current output (unlikely) you will be fine.

Some general tips, put a lot of time into the case. In my experience the case is the most time consuming part. Additionally, triggers can be complicated as well so don't underestimate that part. Overall it sounds like you are doing your research and have a solid idea of the next steps to take. Good luck!

Portables
Thanks Jefflongo! A power switch is a great idea, and yeah 3.5 is small, but I already bought it and I might as well use it, keep an eye out for my work log soon! Feel free to drop anymore advice!

Portables
Only advice I can give is beware the sunk cost fallacy.
Ah I see, well another reason I’m using the 3.5inch screen is because (call me basic) but I’m wanting to use a DMG gameboy case, but make it thicker to have more room, do you or my Jefflongo know of a good screen that I’d be able to fit into that kind of case? Thanks!

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Ah I see, well another reason I’m using the 3.5inch screen is because (call me basic) but I’m wanting to use a DMG gameboy case, but make it thicker to have more room, do you or my Jefflongo know of a good screen that I’d be able to fit into that kind of case? Thanks!
Check out this screen here. I’m using it in my DMGii Wii Portable and Gman used it in his WiiiBoy. Takes VGA input and it’s resolution is 320 x 240. A 5” screen is going to look extremely awkward in a case as small as the DMG in my opinion, and it might not even fit unless you orientate the case horizontally. https://m.ja.aliexpress.com/item/32326586007.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

Portables
Check out this screen here. I’m using it in my DMGii Wii Portable and Gman used it in his WiiiBoy. Takes VGA input and it’s resolution is 320 x 240. A 5” screen is going to look extremely awkward in a case as small as the DMG in my opinion, and it might not even fit unless you orientate the case horizontally. https://m.ja.aliexpress.com/item/32326586007.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail
Woah, That one does look really good, I might have to use that instead Haha. btw awesome work on your DMGii so far, especially with the red buttons and removable battery cover. thanks!