Solved Audio switching from speaker to headphone jack

not sure how to go about this, I've got a few of the below amps sitting around at home, but I'd like to have a 'smart adapt' feature, where if I plug in headphones it auto-mutes the speaker output and redirects to the headphones. Unplugging the headphones would do opposite.

current amps I have around

Would this require a different amp board, or is there some additional circuitry/MCs needed to accomplish?

EDIT: answered my own question, dont know how to delete threads though, sorry :(

Last edited:
If you don't mind could you please post your solution? I've been eyeing that exact amp but am not sure how to switch from speaker to headphones.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'll just mark it as solved

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
If you don't mind could you please post your solution? I've been eyeing that exact amp but am not sure how to switch from speaker to headphones.
To answer your question and for others that might read this, you shouldn't use that amp with headphones. You should use an amp that supports headphones so you don't risk blowing them out. Most amps that do support headphones will have a pin used to toggle speakers/headphones. Then you would use a headphone jack that has a "sense" pin which when plugged in would short the toggle pin (which is normally pulled up) to ground, or something along those lines.

To answer your question and for others that might read this, you shouldn't use that amp with headphones. You should use an amp that supports headphones so you don't risk blowing them out. Most amps that do support headphones will have a pin used to toggle speakers/headphones. Then you would use a headphone jack that has a "sense" pin which when plugged in would short the toggle pin (which is normally pulled up) to ground, or something along those lines.
Awesome, thanks for the information!

any Audio Amp suggestions for this feature??