Release Dreamcast Controller Emulator

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I put the Dreamcast controller emulator files for PIC32MZ1024EFF064 on my github. The VMU is not implemented yet so it cannot save games, which is essential for the Dreamcast so it shouldn't really be used in a casual DCp. The receiving maple protocol isn't robust enough to capture more than one word, which is why the VMU cannot work yet. I am putting it here for good faith and if anyone wants to give it a shot.

https://github.com/Gmanmodz/Dreamcast-Controller-Emulator

I need it to read and write from a legit VMU. Can it be made to do this? I would like to use actual VMUs in my project if that makes sense. Just need to be able to communicate with it. I know nothing about this protocol, I have done no research. Just wondering what this is capable of.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Sure it can be made to do that. I hit a wall once I realized the bitbanged implementation couldnt handle receiving more than a few words at a time so it would need a complete overhaul to communicate with a vmu.

Sure it can be made to do that. I hit a wall once I realized the bitbanged implementation couldnt handle receiving more than a few words at a time so it would need a complete overhaul to communicate with a vmu.
I have no experience with this kind of stuff but I have plenty of time to learn. Do you have any resources you could point me towards? Thanks for your help!

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Felt obligated to mention that I'm working on MaplePad, a portablizing-specific fork of Charcole's Dreamcast controller emulator using the Raspberry Pi Pico (RP2040). It's pretty mature, though not ready for a formal release. So far I've implemented full controls + scaling, multipage VMU emulation, and LCD emulation (rumble's still a WIP.) It uses a different approach from Gunnar's code (Charcole partially implemented the Maple Bus with state machines in the Pico's PIO rather than full bitbanging) but it might be an easier jumping off point for interfacing with real hardware, or at least another option. Anyway, I'm happy to chat about Maple Bus or the code if you'd like! :)

Felt obligated to mention that I'm working on MaplePad, a portablizing-specific fork of Charcole's Dreamcast controller emulator using the Raspberry Pi Pico (RP2040). It's pretty mature, though not ready for a formal release. So far I've implemented full controls + scaling, multipage VMU emulation, and LCD emulation (rumble's still a WIP.) It uses a different approach from Gunnar's code (Charcole partially implemented the Maple Bus with state machines in the Pico's PIO rather than full bitbanging) but it might be an easier jumping off point for interfacing with real hardware, or at least another option. Anyway, I'm happy to chat about Maple Bus or the code if you'd like! :)
So swag!!! I'm so happy to know this! I'll definitely reach out to you when I get to the control side of things.

My portable is just in my mind at the moment but it's all I've been able to think about today!

I've always wanted to portablize something and, while I know documentation is sparce, the Dreamcast would be a good start given it is my favorite console.