Question First Wii Portable: What Battery should I use?

Hi. This is my first Wii portable and its more like a wii laptop really. I just looking for advice on what battery I should use to power the wii, the screen powers itself so thats taken care of. I've been doing some reading and most people use Li-ion cells to power Wii's but I've never used Li-ion batterys before and they seem to explode easily so im not too sure ill use them.
Here are some options im considering :
https://www.amazon.com/1800mAh-Rech...1PvXzWwWXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Super-Power...628474?hash=item2abd9a3d3a:g:t4IAAOSwztVcCApn

I just need advice really, if these are not good options, tell me. All help is appreciated! :D

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I'm not too sure about the first link, but I can for sure tell you that ebay link is a scam, that battery will have much smaller than advertised capacity.

What screen do you have that is powering itself? You may be able to expand that battery and use it for the wii as well

I'm not too sure about the first link, but I can for sure tell you that ebay link is a scam, that battery will have much smaller than advertised capacity.

What screen do you have that is powering itself? You may be able to expand that battery and use it for the wii as well
The screen im using is from an old in car dvd player it runs of 6 AA batterys, ive taken out the disk drive to save on power and weight and it still works fine. Also thanks for the tip I had no idea they were scams xD

cheese

Staff member
The screen im using is from an old in car dvd player it runs of 6 AA batterys, ive taken out the disk drive to save on power and weight and it still works fine. Also thanks for the tip I had no idea they were scams xD
It would probably be better to power the screen off the same batteries you power the wii from. Are you planning on trimming/custom regulators?

Nope I plan on taking the motherboard out of the wii shell, removing the disk drive and putting into the screen case. Its a big chunky old screen. I'm not going to trim or modify the motherboard any more than that
IMG_20190819_174539.jpg

Okay, I've done some more research and decided to use 18650 Li-ion cells to power the Wii. I'm thinking about using 3s 1p with this Protection board: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073MJ6J8R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1YWD3GRP1I9CM&psc=1
Something about it feels sketchy though, I got it off this video: . The video is fine, I think, but that charging board is giving me weird vibes man. I've read the forum post on here about Li-ion cells (Very helpful btw thank you!) and I know you need a PCB or BMS but that protection board is neither as far as I can tell.

I was also thinking about using this holder for the batteries cause I don't want to risk the Li-ion cells exploding in my hands as I try to solder them on https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VB9BQ8F/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AE40U08GGQNM6&psc=1

Also, I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions. It's a lot to learn and I'm nervous, this is the first time I've ever done anything at all like this. I don't want it to seem like I'm not trying, I am but its a lot to learn and its really confusing to me at times. xD Thank you cheese for all the help it is greatly greatly appreciated! :)

cheese

Staff member
That protection board looks fine. To charge the board, you would connect a smart charger to the P+/P-, and to discharge you would connect P+/P- as your power input to your board. Since smart chargers are only made to charge batteries and not power both batteries and the wii, you would need to either do a charge OR play system or have a second power input so you can charge AND play.

As for the battery holder, you'll need to solder to the metal bits sticking out of the sides to get the B1/B2 pins wired.