Worklog Baby's First Portable (Wiimosa)

Hello all. In order to provide as painless of a venture as possible into the scary territory of Wii portablizing, I decided to detail my progress in this worklog. I've spent solid weeks scouring the forums for information on how to complete this process, and I believe I have the most basic understanding (just about enough to get my hands on it and start working). Here is my understanding of the act thus far:

1) Obtain a Wii and install PortablizeMii
2) Disassemble the console and determine the board revision (in order to determine if you have a six or four layer motherboard)
3) Trim the motherboard to one of two commonly used trims (being either the OMGWTF trim or LMAO trim).
4) Rewiring the necessary cut pieces of the motherboard (such as the Bluetooth module and disc drive daughterboard) back to the motherboard in order for the Wii to run and actually play all Wii and virtual console games as intended.
5) Wiring a power supply to the system, such as batteries (also implementing a Wii PMS so as to hopefully avoid the hassle of relying on custom regulators.)
6) Wiring a screen to the motherboard (and possibly implementing the VGA Patch to produce better video quality.)
7) Connecting the audio outputs to some sort of amplifier (hopefully one that supports headphones and is easy to work with.) This process I am a bit iffy on.
8) Implement a method of controlling the portable, preferably with GC+ as it is compact and easy to use. From my understanding, all you do is wire the buttons themselves with the corresponding function labeled on the GC+ board.
9) Find a way to allow for the Wii to run games and programs off of the USB (I am also unsure of this process).
10) Implement a fan, exhaust, and a heat sink apparatus of some kind in order to keep the device cool (I'll be using a six layer board since it is supposedly better for beginners, so keeping the device cool is an essential part of this process, even more so than the four layer board.)
11) Find or create some type of case that allows for the portable Wii to be housed effectively (and in a stylistic fashion, hopefully).

I intend to use the parts list of GingerofOz's Louii as a reference point to understand what parts are going to be needed/what parts are recommended for this project. I have also compiled a list of many resources which I intend to use as a rough guide. The hardest part by far will be the process of wiring different components to each other and understanding what goes where. I have, of course, studied the Bible of Wii portablizing, the Definitive Wii Trimming Guide and the Six Layer Expansion, but I am having a hard time understanding what is expected in terms of relocation. To remedy this, I plan to study these documents even more, as well as explore worklogs and enlist the help of my fellow portablizers (is that what they call you guys?). Aside from the general issue of relocation, my other two greatest concerns involve everything that has to do with voltage and power, as well as the types of wires that need to be used. When it comes to the tools used, the materials needed, and the process, I do think I have a fair understanding, though there is infinite room for improvement. I understand that this is an arduous task, but I am ready to face the risk and create something to be proud of. While it isn't promising that the most important part of the process, the wiring, is my weakest point, I am confident in my ability to learn and refine the process over time. I would like to thank everyone in advance for welcoming me and allowing me to share in this strange, confusing yet unimaginably rewarding hobby. So far, all I have is the six layer Wii, but I will update this thread with every step of the process as I go along so that I can learn and hopefully teach others who are just getting into this. I believe that no matter the level of knowledge or experience, one can accomplish anything through determination and a willingness to fail, no matter how intimidating the challenge before them.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Hey there!

It looks like you've got a pretty good grasp of everything so far, I've got just a couple of reccomendations. First, your 6 layer board is excellent for practicing things like the U10 relocation and wiring to Wii vias, but I'd reccomend using a 4 layer board for your actual build. It'll give you a huge boost in battery life, as well as be easier to cool.

If also reccomend sticking with the OMGWTF trim, the LMAO is more difficult to pull off and isn't a trim you'd ever need to do for a first portable. Even the PiiWii pocket used an OMGWTF trim, so you can cram it into pretty much everything.

your 6 layer board is excellent for practicing things like the U10 relocation and wiring to Wii vias, but I'd reccomend using a 4 layer board for your actual build.
That's a great idea, thank you. The Wii itself was actually among the cheapest of the parts for me to get. It would be so beneficial for me to practice soldering and relocation and wiring on it since it was so cheap and since I have very little experience with it. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If wiring is your main concern, the best thing for you to do to improve would be to obtain some cheap basic electronics and use them to practice soldering and desoldering wires to various different types of pads, pins, vias, and board components. You can practice routing the wires neatly around board components as well, killing two birds and all that. Use some good quality no clean flux and you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Having a half decent wire stripper will help with that too, learning how much copper to expose is another handy skill for wiring to prevent accidental shorts.

If wiring is your main concern, the best thing for you to do to improve would be to obtain some cheap basic electronics and use them to practice soldering and desoldering wires to various different types of pads, pins, vias, and board components. You can practice routing the wires neatly around board components as well, killing two birds and all that. Use some good quality no clean flux and you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Having a half decent wire stripper will help with that too, learning how much copper to expose is another handy skill for wiring to prevent accidental shorts.
I have tinkered with electronics in the past, but I've never done anything that involved wiring. I will do that, though I am unsure as to which devices would require such a service as rewiring. Nevertheless, I will look into it. I think what I'll do is practice the major actions such as trimming and relocating certain aspects of the motherboard on the OM6 board, and use a 4 layer board for the actual build. Thank you for the advice, though. I will practice soldering and such, but more of a concern of mine is what wire to use in terms of sizes. I've seen others ask that question before on here, so I'll look at what was recommended to them before inquiring further. Questions about the wiring will be left to when I get there in the process, only under the condition that I have not found a suitable answer elsewhere.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I have tinkered with electronics in the past, but I've never done anything that involved wiring. I will do that, though I am unsure as to which devices would require such a service as rewiring. Nevertheless, I will look into it. I think what I'll do is practice the major actions such as trimming and relocating certain aspects of the motherboard on the OM6 board, and use a 4 layer board for the actual build. Thank you for the advice, though. I will practice soldering and such, but more of a concern of mine is what wire to use in terms of sizes. I've seen others ask that question before on here, so I'll look at what was recommended to them before inquiring further. Questions about the wiring will be left to when I get there in the process, only under the condition that I have not found a suitable answer elsewhere.
I can volunteer that info to save you some time, for reference "AWG" stands for American Wire Gauge, and a higher reference number is a thinner wire. So a 22AWG wire is thicker than a 30AWG wire, for example. For wires like main power and ground between batteries, regulators, the Wii, and your screen, it's recommended to use 22AWG wire. You can use 24AWG, but 24AWG has caused some problems in the past due to the ground connection sometimes not being able to carry enough current back, so 22AWG is the better choice. For lower power components such as a controller, audio amplifier, USB 5v and ground, and MX chip/bluetooth relocation, you can use 24/26AWG, or even as low as 30AWG just fine.

For data like video, USB data, controller data line, audio, u10 relocation via, MX chip/bluetooth data lines, and buttons/joysticks, you can use as low as 38AWG enameled magnet wire. These data lines carry little to no current, so you don't need thick wires for them. In fact, using wire too thick can actually cause problems in more sensitive applications like USB data.

GMan's worklogs and Cutting Edge posts are a good reference point for wiring if you feel like looking through them. He does everything so neatly that you can easily see how he runs his wires and approximate (or ask him) how thick the wires used are.

Last edited:
I can volunteer that info to save you some time, for reference "AWG" stands for American Wire Gauge, and a higher reference number is a thinner wire. So a 22AWG wire is thicker than a 30AWG wire, for example. For wires like main power and ground between batteries, regulators, the Wii, and your screen, it's recommended to use 22AWG wire. You can use 24AWG, but 24AWG has caused some problems in the past due to the ground connection sometimes not being able to carry enough current back, so 22AWG is the better choice. For lower power components such as a controller, audio amplifier, USB 5v and ground, and MX chip/bluetooth relocation, you can use 24/26AWG, or even as low as 30AWG just fine.

For data like video, USB data, controller data line, audio, u10 relocation via, MX chip/bluetooth data lines, and buttons/joysticks, you can use as low as 38AWG enameled magnet wire. These data lines carrying little to no current, so you don't need thick wires for them. In fact, using wire too thick can actually cause problems in more sensitive applications like USB data.

GMan's worklogs and Cutting Edge posts are a good reference point for wiring if you feel like looking through them. He does everything so neatly that you can easily see how he runs his wires and approximate (or ask him) how thick the wires used are.
Thank you, that actually does save me a lot of time.

Following the advice of Ginger, I bought a four layer Wii in addition to the six layer, as I have been led to believe it provides for the most optimal and power-efficient build. I intended to use the six layer board to practice trimming and relocating items on the board. So with the new goal of practicing the OMGWTF trim rather than pressuring myself into doing it correctly the first time, I used this rotary tool in addition to a 7/8 in. diamond cutting wheel that I bought in a kit from Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, I was very liberal with the trimming, feeling confident due to having tuned into Noah's recent G-Wii Rev 2 stream in which he had trimmed a motherboard himself. Due to my inexperience, excitement, and lack of general care, I cut way too close to the ram traces and killed it. I am not discouraged by this, as I learned a lot more about how to cut the board. I can also still practice many things on the dead board, such as practicing relocation and scratching off traces.
weirdboard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to redeem myself for this heinous act of motherboard mutilation, I tried my hand at a much safer trim for the four layer board, which can be viewed in the pictures. I still need to get wires for relocation and I'm still waiting on the soldering iron, but I wanted to do as much as I can with what I have at the moment. I feel that trimming the Wii after modding it isn't too bad of an idea. The biggest problem that I've experienced was having to track down and eradicate all of the roaches in the console before cleaning it. My plan after this is to extensively study Noah's stream of assembling the G-Wii so that I can gain a visual understanding of how the wiring is to be done. I will check back in once I have more progress. Thank you.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
In order to redeem myself for this heinous act of motherboard mutilation, I tried my hand at a much safer trim for the four layer board, which can be viewed in the pictures. I still need to get wires for relocation and I'm still waiting on the soldering iron, but I wanted to do as much as I can with what I have at the moment. I feel that trimming the Wii after modding it isn't too bad of an idea. The biggest problem that I've experienced was having to track down and eradicate all of the roaches in the console before cleaning it. My plan after this is to extensively study Noah's stream of assembling the G-Wii so that I can gain a visual understanding of how the wiring is to be done. I will check back in once I have more progress. Thank you.
That trim looks safer, hopefully it boots for you. I do have one suggestion, though.
upload_2019-8-23_12-48-26.png

That little component there on the edge needs to go, it could cause a short.

I'm still waiting on the majority of my parts, as well as the money to buy some of the more essential items for this portable such as the Wii Power Management System and the GC+. In the meantime, I've compiled a rough materials list of all of the expenses related to this project, including tools, which will be updated as I continue with this project. This is not only to help any newcomers that don't quite know the equipment to use or how much everything generally costs, but also to keep track of how much money I spend and when the items should arrive. The list is inspired by the description of the parts that Gman had used for the original G-Wii as well as the BOM for the Louii. I hope that this will prove to be beneficial.