Info about PSP LCD Screen driver board?

Portables
I have several screens lying around for the PSP-1000 model (from previous modding and repair activities) and I would like to eventually use them in some kind of project, but I have not been able to find a driver board for them that doesn't cost more than the screens themselves. Most of the ones I have found are in the $40 range and at that price its better to just buy a fully assembled screen/driver combo.

Does anyone have a link to a driver board that will work? The screens are cheap and have good image quality and viewing angles so it seems like a waste for them to be sitting in my parts bin unused.

The original screen is the Sharp LQ043 K3146.

Noah

retired
Portables
Generally, we don't recommend using LCDs pulled from various devices as they will need a specialized driver board that either A, doesn't exist, or B, costs an obscene amount of money for what you're getting. It would be cheaper and easier on you to just buy a new screen for whatever project you were planning on using those panels in. Also, keep in mind that the PSP's screen is only 480x272. For a project like a Wii portable using the VGA patches, something that's full 480P resolution (or slightly wider) is much more desirable.

Portables
This is an example of such work, an option would be go to FPGA's aid.

http://www.dgkelectronics.com/fpga-based-playstation-portable-display-driver/
and the github https://github.com/Hyvok/PSP-Display-Driver

Well, it's at least worth the read. As Noah said, it's much easier to go with a screen kit.
Every few months this idea pops into my head and I have never run across the link you posted above. The FPGAs listed are a reasonable price, even for a dev board version. I may actually be able to use the screens for a future project with this info.

This is always what I came across in the past and the FPGA used for that project is a little pricey.

https://hackaday.com/2012/06/18/driving-a-psp-screen-with-an-fpga/

Thanks for posting this!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
What do you want to use it for though? The resolution is pretty crappy

Portables
I don’t have anything specific in mind yet. I run across the screens every so often in my parts bin and think about how they are wasted just sitting there and start looking into a driver board again to see if anything has changed.

Sometimes I do projects just for the sake of learning something new and then they just sit unused with the rest of the learning projects.

One use that immediately comes to mind is a CPU monitor application for sitting beside the main monitor to display system specs, load, etc...