Question How to wire for a N64 Portable

I’m trying to make a N64P, but I don’t know how to wire anything together. I’m requesting help for this. Thanks!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
There's a lot of good information on N64s in this subforum. I recommend looking through the posts here and then after you have a better idea of what's involved, you can come back with more specific questions.

I’ve read through that a lot, but I don’t know like what type of wires I need for like audio, video, all of that. The type of wire I need would be helpful.

I still don’t understand it that well, like do I need speaker wire, do I need magnet wire, I don’t really get it.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Generally speaking, when connecting voltage lines (between system/batteries/charging jack) you need thicker wire. I don't know the recommended gauge off the top of my head, but something super thin like magnet wire won't cut it. Speaker wire would work, but seems a bit overkill. For data lines (such as audio, video, controller data), thin magnet wire is fine.

If you need locations on the board pinpointed out for you, that's where the guides are helpful.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I recommend you read some worklogs mate.

I barely found any that talked about wires, and they all were about magnet wire. But, fibbef said that it won’t cut it.

You can use a 38 AWG cable for power connections (including outputs from the batteries, don't forget to use a battery protection for them) and a 32 AWG cable for data connections (audio, video, USB, controllers, memory cards, and others that require the use of data)

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You can use a 32 AWG cable for power connections (including outputs from the batteries, don't forget to use a battery protection for them) and a 38 AWG cable for data connections (audio, video, USB, controllers, memory cards, and others that require the use of data)
Please don't use 32awg for power wiring, that's only rated for around 0.5a which would be around 2w at standard battery voltage. Any more and it's gonna melt

You might need to read some guides too, especially before you go making suggestions to people

Noah

retired
Portables
giphy (1).gif

that's not how wire gagues work! the higher the number the thinner the wire is.

For power from the batteries/regulators, 24 is about the smallest I'd recommend going. 22 would be a better choice and is what everyone on here tends to use. You can go smaller for things that draw less power (controller, audio amp, etc.) and get away with 30 gauge or so, but for any main rails definitely get 22 gauge.

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Normally we wouldn't take such a hardened stance, but since this kind of stuff literally has the power to start fires if you don't know what you're doing, please refrain from giving advice when you clearly haven't looked at any guides yourself as cheese said.