2SP - Nold's First PS2p & Clamshell Case

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I was thinking alot about the final design the last days.. I know i want to make the whole case out of carbonfil , so it will be mostly dark-grey/blackish. No paint.

But I also wanted to use the awesome color print technique i learned from nobble!

WARNING: Post may contain traces of memes! Suitable for vegetarians.

Anyways, me and my brother reggie were getting baked earlier & he approved my latest [h]i[gh]dea.
reggiefied2sp.jpg

He also came up with a genius name! Since it's basically a "PS2-SP", why not call it "2SP" for short. Also it's PS2 backwards which is kinda cool...

Here are some more tasty renders:
2SP_alpha_render_closed.png

2SP_alpha_render_open.png

But i'm still not sure about the color of the hinges/inlays.. i have a real nice dark red, which might look nice. Oh, and i got dark purple prusament incomming, too. :rothink:

Good thing is, if i ever want to make a wii clam, i can just recycle this..

Btw.: This was my first idea:
design_preview.JPG

A portable from hell! :devilish: Now you might get, how angry a clamshell design can make you - lol[/h]

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
noclamshell-day..

So, the DSL hinge is not able to hold the display as nice i want it to... i needed to change a lot on the display & bottom part, to fit another hinge in there <.<'' ...
It's a little tricky to put in the dsl hinge now, but the prototype seems promising, tho..

DSCF8781.JPG

still need to fix some things on the screen-frame, but at least the display fits in.. also i'm waiting for the last missing parts to arrive & then i hopefully get this thing done... and working >.<''

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Alright, not much happend the last days.. did basically finish/test the reloactions. Board is working fine so far. At the moment I'm just waiting for the last parts to arrive.. like this big boi, that looks like it comes straight from the 90s!

DSCF8812.JPG

So after downloading a 1GB IDE, to program an 8bit MCU.. i flashed that guy with the PS2+ firmware.

Since i was to lazy to make some jumper wires, i soldered it directly to my trimmed board. Sadly i couldn't make it work. With the help of Chaos i tried everything to make it work.. but it didn't want to...
wire-chaos.png

[ guess he was super happy to have me as a test candidate, in that moment - lol ]

Even tho it seems like they are communicating (MISO/MOSI - idk which is which)
DSCF8854.JPG
[ I know you guys love CRTs ;-).. ]

So i removed the chip, made some jumpers, hooked it up.. still the same :(
DSCF8834.JPG

Tomorrow i'll solder the PS2 controller slot back in, see if it works & hook the PS2+ to the slot.. Hopefully it'll work.

Last edited:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Is the PS2+ public? I'd be keen to have a play with that if it is :D

I will note that I've had a lot of misadventures with PIC chips and the best advice I could give anyone would be to spend the money on a good programmer with an easy mounting slot - I use to do things by hand using a breadboard and it just got too frustrating.

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I was interested to see if I could use it to "fix" my Wii U PS2 as the thumbsticks on the Wii U are inverted and it makes sense to solve that using a control chip instead of some sort of component or scruffy re-wiring setup.

I just had a glance at the code and being in C it's right up my alley (I struggled with PIC assembly) but given I live in New Zealand it could be weeks until I get the hardware to start helping with this. I could probably sketch up some sort of breakout board however - that I can do :)

EDIT: There already appears to be KiCad files there - man this thing is totally covered.

EDIT2: Ok, not totally complete for that KiCad solution there so I've started having a look. Thing is from the pinout diagram I can't make out many of the controller lines that should connect to the PS2 board (I guess I was expecting: data, command, motor, attention, clock, and acknowledge - it's not all that clear)

Last edited:

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Oh hey, long time no update... well actually quite a lot happened in the last days...

Beside work on this project, i've written a replacement for OPL-Manager/USBUtil in python. You can check it out here: https://github.com/Nold360/libopl (alpha, commandline & linux only)

It's also utilizing an API for game metadata & artwork, that you'll also find on my github here. (I might extend it for wii & postloader, too & host the API public)

Whatsoever, today was my personal deadline for the case design, so i did a lot of test prints the last days, like the logo. It printed nicely, the case will not become purple tho...
DSCF8884.JPG

Besides that i decided to try copperfil for the hinges & found out, that post-processing that is a pain in the a**.. Been sanding & polishing for hours today, only on these two hinges:

DSCF8901.JPG

Still not very happy with the end result. I want it to look like a pcb, damn it! >.<'... ordered some brasso, hope that helps a little. But they feel just so smooth. And i'm still everytime fascinated by the pure weight of this filament..

Actually I wanted to get at least the upper bottom half printed, but the feeding gear ate the filament, so it stopped extruding at some point. Hope this print will work out!

//Edit 1:
Oh, and PS2+ is working... i don't know what the problem was... after not touching it for a few days. i hooked it back up & it just worked <..<''

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Looking at it again it looks like it's in Pain.

How does it feel to hold? it looks kind of bulky

are these things the speakers?
upload_2019-8-12_17-2-31.png

they aren't gonna get muffled by your hands when you are playing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
That case looks sexy and the logo is really cool. Are you planning on sanding the top of the case too after you have the final print or leaving it as is?
I will sand the shit out of all parts. I think the copper + carbon combination will lock totally awesome!

Also what type of joystick are you using?
Switch Analogs. Wanted to use sliders.. but L3/R3 >.<''

Portables
I will sand the shit out of all parts. I think the copper + carbon combination will lock totally awesome!"
Yeah nice, so I guess the logo must be running pretty deep in the case. Looking forward to see the final result :D

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I don't see any blunts in any of these pictures.

Alright, not much happend the last days.. did basically finish/test the reloactions. Board is working fine so far. At the moment I'm just waiting for the last parts to arrive.. like this big boi, that looks like it comes straight from the 90s!

View attachment 9135

So after downloading a 1GB IDE, to program an 8bit MCU.. i flashed that guy with the PS2+ firmware.

Since i was to lazy to make some jumper wires, i soldered it directly to my trimmed board. Sadly i couldn't make it work. With the help of Chaos i tried everything to make it work.. but it didn't want to...
View attachment 9137
[ guess he was super happy to have me as a test candidate, in that moment - lol ]

Even tho it seems like they are communicating (MISO/MOSI - idk which is which)
View attachment 9134 [ I know you guys love CRTs ;-).. ]

So i removed the chip, made some jumpers, hooked it up.. still the same :(
View attachment 9136

Tomorrow i'll solder the PS2 controller slot back in, see if it works & hook the PS2+ to the slot.. Hopefully it'll work.
congratulations for the project , it was a lot of work , I wish I could see an image of these regulators