Question Another Wii Portable

Hello everyone, I am new to circuitry and portables. I know some basics to electronics and power. I have experience with the Nintendo Wii software-wise. The goal I am trying to reach is to have a portable that I can bring with me that I can play with my mates. The things I hope to learn are:
How to design a PCB
How to design a power management circuit
How to make a controller PCB
How to design a 3D printed part

I hope and strive to make my final product have:
A total of 4 PCBs (Wii MOBO, Left side of controller, Right side of controller, and the Main one interfacing with the Wii and with the controller sides via ribbon cable)
No thicker then 1.5 inches (3.81 CM)
A metal back to assist with cooling
Bluetooth and Wifi capabilities
Built-in Wii sensor bar
Headphone jack
USB type-C charging
Micro HDMI (HDMI Type D) output
4 speakers (2 left, 2 right)
USB port replaced with Micro SD port
Charing and playing at the same time

I intend for the controller sides to connect to the main PCB via ribbon cables because it would be easy to replace the controller sides if they were to go bad. The main PCB will need some sort of power manager along with the ports (and the speakers maybe)

The things I ask for are:
A drawing of the Wii MOBO with the OMGWTF trim with dimensions if possible (This will help shape the case)
How to connect a gamecube controller with the Wii MOBO again with the trim
How to relocate the Wifi and Bluetooth
Places to shop for ports
Displays recommended for the build (I am aiming for 7 inch screens but around 5 inch will do too)
What type of batteries you guys recommend
What software and how to design a PCB
How to create a power management PCB

Now you do *not* have to give me advise or help me, it is your choice but it would be appreciated.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
So what you're planning is very advanced for any build, let alone a first one. I'd reccomend changing these things for a more reasonable build:

First, drop WiFi as a desired feature. What do you want to use it for? It's very difficult to properly relocate, and if the relocation fails then your portable won't work.

A metal back is overkill for cooling on a Wii portable. A 35x35x7mm fan and a similarly sized heatsink along with a thin copper plate will do the job just fine.

Regarding your plans for custom PCBs, a full on charging system is a very complicated design, espescially if you have no experience with designing something like that. I reccomend buying a Gman PMS board when they come back in stock as that will have all the features you'd like.

USB-C charging is also difficult to implement. I'd reccomend holding off on that one for now.

Regarding your questions about relocations, read through the Wii trimming guide thoroughly and the exhaustive FAQ pinned in the Wii section. This should help answer your questions.

For batteries, 18650 cells work quite well. Buy official Samsung or Panasonic cells in the 3400-3500mah range for the best battery life.

A 4 speaker system is overkill. Very overkill. My portable uses 2 speakers and I can crank the volume up to the point where it hurts my ears.

HDMI output is tricky, as you would need an adapter to get that video. Wii2HDMI adapters are clunky, power consuming, and don't produce great video, so I'd reccomend using either component or VGA out in your build if it's that critical to you.

Regarding reccomended parts, we have a spreadsheet of them in the BOM thread in General Discussion. You will find screens there.

For learning 3D modeling, I'd reccomend looking into Autodesk Fusion 360. It's a good tool for our needs. And for PCB design, look into KiCAD and Eagle and use whichever you prefer.

So what you're planning is very advanced for any build, let alone a first one. I'd reccomend changing these things for a more reasonable build:

First, drop WiFi as a desired feature. What do you want to use it for? It's very difficult to properly relocate, and if the relocation fails then your portable won't work.

A metal back is overkill for cooling on a Wii portable. A 35x35x7mm fan and a similarly sized heatsink along with a thin copper plate will do the job just fine.

Regarding your plans for custom PCBs, a full on charging system is a very complicated design, espescially if you have no experience with designing something like that. I reccomend buying a Gman PMS board when they come back in stock as that will have all the features you'd like.

USB-C charging is also difficult to implement. I'd reccomend holding off on that one for now.

Regarding your questions about relocations, read through the Wii trimming guide thoroughly and the exhaustive FAQ pinned in the Wii section. This should help answer your questions.

For batteries, 18650 cells work quite well. Buy official Samsung or Panasonic cells in the 300-3500mah range for the best battery life.

A 4 speaker system is overkill. Very overkill. My portable uses 2 speakers and I can crank the volume up to the point where it hurts my ears.

HDMI output is tricky, as you would need an adapter to get that video. Wii2HDMI adapters are clunky, power consuming, and don't produce great video, so I'd reccomend using either component or VGA out in your build if it's that critical to you.

Regarding reccomended parts, we have a spreadsheet of them in the BOM thread in General Discussion. You will find screens there.

For learning 3D modeling, I'd reccomend looking into Autodesk Fusion 360. It's a good tool for our needs. And for PCB design, look into KiCAD and Eagle and use whichever you prefer.
Thank so so much for your incite. I will drop Wifi as using internet on it is not really needed as WC24 has ended. I will look at 18650 cells for powering my system. I am still figuring out what type of screen to use so I might not need HDMI internally but if I do I hope to output Micro HDMI as well.

Once again thank you so much for all the information you have provided.