Discussion Wii Power Management System (open source)

So are custom regs obsolete now? If I buy this, I only need a GC+ and I'm good to go right?

Im assuming this isn't the official BitBuilt method?

And also, what is the difference between this and the PowerMii (Lite)? Is it the LED and charge/play? I'm deciding on which to use, or if I should just go custom regulators.

You know what, I'll just make a new thread sry for bumping this...

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You'll need a good deal more than just this and a GC+ for a portable, but yes this acts as a replacement for the PTHs and more. This is another form of custom regulators.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
In that case then yes, that would be all you need from the store.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
If I were to assembly my own(some how) would i program the micro controller with a pic 3 programmer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3C3VS...olid=1F36JXYPMV9H9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Also I know i'm not the first person to ask this but when will they be in stock because i would want to buy one and support more of your portables, and also i'm gonna have a hard time soldering smd parts for the first time:D.
Yes you need a pickit3 for programming it. If this is your first time doing smd pcb assembly, I would not recommend you try it on this. You'll end up spending more money on extra parts (or tools if you don't have a hot air station), than it would be to buy one from the store. They will be in stock soon...

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If I were to assembly my own(some how) would i program the micro controller with a pic 3 programmer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3C3VS...olid=1F36JXYPMV9H9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Also I know i'm not the first person to ask this but when will they be in stock because i would want to buy one and support more of your portables, and also i'm gonna have a hard time soldering smd parts for the first time:D.
Gotta agree with Gman there, the PMS is hella complex for a first timer. I'd practice assembling a few GC+ boards first. The parts are larger and spaced further apart, it'd be a better learning experience.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
The PMS will be back in stock within the next few weeks according to Noah.

The PMS will be back in stock within the next few weeks according to Noah.
Ok thank you, good to know. Also, is it an all in one solution for voltage regulation? Would purchasing this board spare all the trouble of hunting down custom regulators?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Ok thank you, good to know. Also, is it an all in one solution for voltage regulation? Would purchasing this board spare all the trouble of hunting down custom regulators?
Yes. Read the first post

Will this only work on 4 layer wii motherboards? or can it power the 6 layer wii boards as well?

Noah

retired
Portables
Will this only work on 4 layer wii motherboards? or can it power the 6 layer wii boards as well?
I'm not sure that anyone has tested it with a 6 layer, but seeing as how 6 layer boards shouldn't really be used in portables anyways, hopefully that answers your question. :P

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The main power ic has an output current limit of 5A, which at the minimum working voltage of ~3.3V means having less than 15W to play with (assuming a 90% efficiency). A 6 layer wii would take almost 10W so you would be left with just few watts to power everything else.
tl;dr: don't use it with a 6 layer wii

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
About how many watts of heat does it give off? Also if someone could post a thermal scan under high load that would be awesome :awesome:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
About how many watts of heat does it give off? Also if someone could post a thermal scan under high load that would be awesome :awesome:
I do not know and I do not have an IR camera either.