Worklog Nintendo Switch redesign - Switch Mini/Pro

I decided to join the contest hoping it would push me to actually finish a project again. It's been a long time since I built something new and have had a bunch of idea's for a long time. The project I have in mind is something that has not been done allot before.

More info to follow soon :D

Update: So I have decided to try to get into the Switch hype and do a Nintendo Switch redesign. I'm basing the design on this concept I found online (no idea who actually made it). After checking out the internals and how I can slim things down I thought that this design would actually be possible to make.

Last edited:
Started yesterday with slimming down the first components. The idea is to make it as small as possible while still retaining more or less all features.

Touch screen:

Touch screen and lcd assembled:

Body comparison new design vs original design + slimmed down joycons:

I will add a dpad of course :P I've already started with the main body and slimmed it down quite a bit. But I have a few things i still need to consider.

Keeping things as slim as possible comes with a few drawbacks. Because it has lost allot of height the original heat sink and fan combo will not fit. Ideally I would want a bigger one that handles the heat flow better (intake through the bottom of the case and outlet on top like original. But if I do that then the case will get thicker. I could add a double battery to make up for the unused space but it might not look as appealing.

As for the joycons they will be hardwired into the unit. I was first considering to make a small grip on each joycon and incorporate that into the total design. Making it more comfortable then the added thickness of the extra battery and heat sink would not effect the total design.

What do you guys think?

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
So glad you didn't decide to try to make a portable and switch it up instead ༼ʘ̚ل͜ʘ̚༽

Edit:
also looking at it, I didn't notice you messed with the joycons until looking at it like five times

Hahaha yeah I have all the parts ready to make a Wii portable but considering the amount of time I have available and how many people already are making them I wanted to do something different.

It is nowhere near complex as what most of you are doing here though:P.

If I finish it off quickly I'll try to work on another project:mrgreen:

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
If you ever plan to make a 2nd Rev, Hit me up, I'd love to 3d model a switch mini would look even more hella cool

Deal. If this model works out the way I want it to I might consider making more of them fully assembled excluding the switch motherboard. That way people can buy the premade kit and just put their own switch mobo inside.

:facepalm:Considering Nintendo might launch their own mini maybe it is not such a good idea:rothink:

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
This is great stuff! I was interested in taking mine apart as well to see if I could make a lighter/smaller version but my lack of knowledge was holding me back.
thank you for taking the leap, I'll be watching this thread with great interest!

Personally I would love someone figure out the Vita OLED and hack the switch to render 1080p in portable mode for a FXAA 540p.

also looking at it, I didn't notice you messed with the joycons until looking at it like five times
This isn't Zenloc/Loctrinics/Loctrovisers first rodeo.

Last edited:
Little update. Just heard that I gotta move out from my workshop. No idea if I will get the time to complete this project but will continue to try to get it done on time.

I was considering building the hdmi dock into the switch and power it off a 15v battery pack (because the amp draw at 15v in docked mode is not that high really. But the weight would be too much for it to be comfortable. Also finding a small 1080p oled screen is not easy. I have a few but they don't work well with normal resolutions. They are made for rassberry pie's. Resolution is mostly portrait (phone screen) not landscape hence why it only works with a computer operating system.

I don't have any programming skilz sadly so have to make due with the materials that are available to me.

I think I will keep the double battery idea to make up for the thicker heatsink. If there is space I will add a mini version of the dock. Time will tell if I can pull it off:mrgreen:

Deal. If this model works out the way I want it to I might consider making more of them fully assembled excluding the switch motherboard. That way people can buy the premade kit and just put their own switch mobo inside.

:facepalm:Considering Nintendo might launch their own mini maybe it is not such a good idea:rothink:
Hey man, I hope the Switch Lite news doesn't dissuade you. As much as I wanted a smaller Switch, docked mode is a feature I'm not willing to give up. I hope you keep working on this.

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
what I hope is that the lite screen is compatible! that'd be amazing, he'd have a smaller shell all ready for him to modify!

Still working on it. My new workshop area should be ready by the end of this week. Next week get back to it.

I think the Switch lite is not a deal breaker for me because it actually removes features. The model I'm working on will actually be similar in size to it but will have fully functional joycons (not detachable though), have an internal dock, internal bleutooth, trinket modchip to fast boot into cfw and will have a double battery with a custom heatsink.

All in all it looks like my version will be a Pro "lite" version with the ability to use all features without carrying anything extra.

Even over clocking will work better with the new heatsink. Battery will still not like it though but luckily batteries can easily be replaced. :D

Maybe consider using the Hori right Joycon - come with a Dpad and doesn't include batteries

No need. Will use the original joycons and just add a dpad. Not sure which one I will use. Maybe one from a wiiu pro pad. I have a bunch of parts laying around. I'll see which ones works best.

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
By the by, how were you thinking of adding the second battery? I'd like to do the same on my end

Hey LOCtrovisor ... if this is a pro console ... can you add Bluetooth headphone support?