Question Reviving old board

IMG_3532.JPG

Here's an old board I tried fiddling with a couple years back when I was told that wiis became a popular modding console, I tried it a couple times, but kept failing because I wasn't properly testing it with the right power source. So after looking back at this now I thought I'd give it a try, I think my trim looks fine so who knows maybe it works. I ordered a power mii lite pcb which hasn't arrived yet (still not sure when it will) so I went ahead and ordered some ti regs for now which should arrive this up coming Monday
They're wahs and was able to get 4 for $30.
However, I was going over the resistors that I needed and was wondering how close to the needed resistance could I be? Like for the 3.3v line it says it needs 1.89k
I assume I could just use a 1.8k resistor?
But for 1v it needs 87.2k so I'd have to add 3 together since I assume something like 82k wouldn't work?
If I have to add a few resistors together for most of them I'll do it, but if I can get away with a little resistance than I wouldn't mind that. I honestly wouldn't mind testing the two boards I cut, one could probably be a home console and the other a portable? just have to make sure they work.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Check the data sheet for the regulator. There's is a formula (also a precomputed table) to calculate the output voltage based on resistance. Just keep the output voltage within 0.05v of what's required. Given the option, go too high instead of too low since voltage will drop under load.

IMG_3524.PNG
Check the data sheet for the regulator. There's is a formula (also a precomputed table) to calculate the output voltage based on resistance. Just keep the output voltage within 0.05v of what's required. Given the option, go too high instead of too low since voltage will drop under load.
I'm assuming you're talking about this chart?
Which is what I'm using, but the .05v is what I was looking for. The resistor pack I purchased just doesn't have the exact ones I need, but going over .05 allows me to use less resistors

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 8919
Which is what I'm using, but the .05v is what I was looking for. The resistor pack I purchased just doesn't have the exact ones I need, but going over .05 allows me to use less resistors
For example, for the 1.15v line try to be in the 33.8k to 27.9k range. As you can see, the resistance matters more for higher voltages. You may have to use a resistor in parallel or series, but you shouldn't need more than 2 with a standard resistor kit like E12.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 8919
You're generally safe with using resistor values within 10% lower than what the datasheet says. So if you were to use a 84k or 82k resistor for the 1v line, that'd be fine. The range jeff mentioned above is good too, but I'd stick within 10% if you can.

You're generally safe with using resistor values within 10% lower than what the datasheet says. So if you were to use a 84k or 82k resistor for the 1v line, that'd be fine. The range jeff mentioned above is good too, but I'd stick within 10% if you can.
Going to note that one down.
But I'm getting something delievered by tonight, so if it's the pcb than I'm safe for this board, but I'll still test out the regs when they get here too.
For simple testing purposes like this does the USB port have to be wired? Or would I just get the error message. I don't know if I still have the USB port, but if I don't I can order one if I can't find it.

Ok well i have to wait about another week
Long story short I thought I ordered 4 regs?
I only ordered 2 lol
So I'll be ordering another 2 maybe tonight?
Should be getting the capacitors in a few days I think.

Edit: so how are you suppose to sink a wiimote to a wii without the tact switch?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You can always solder a wire to 3.3v and then touch it to the sync pad on the module. Just be careful that you don't accidentally hit anything else with the wire...

You can always solder a wire to 3.3v and then touch it to the sync pad on the module. Just be careful that you don't accidentally hit anything else with the wire...
So you mean one of the pins on the Bluetooth module is for rewiring the sync button?

Edit: ok never mind I went over the guide again and i saw pin 12
I also ordered the other two regulators that I still need, the capacitors cane in though.

Last edited: