Question Could I use a USB-C connexion to access the drive inside a wii portable

Hello,
Since I don't want the drive to be outside the case and I'm not sure of my ability to do an easily openable wii portable, I wonder if I could use an USB-C connector.

My idea is to switch the data lines of the usb drive between the motherboard and the USB-C connector using 2 mux and a (physical) switch.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
If you are using Multiplexers you won't need a physical Switch
Since you are using it for just usb Data I suggest using something else, because if someone plugs 18V into your usb-C port you are going to kill your drive most likely. You could use a micro usb instead

Thank you for your answers, I was aware of the voltage hazard, this is why I would have switched only the data lines and keep the vcc and gnd from the battery.
After reading this guide I think micro usb could be better.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Micro-USB is definitely simpler for an application like this.

One thing to note about my guide though is that the multiplexor I used for switching the data lines did have some issues down the road. I'd strongly recommend you use an IC meant for switching USB data lines, as those will be a lot more consistent than the general use mux I used in this design.

Senor Avocado

2022 2nd Place Winner
Are there any ic's specifically meant for switching USB data lines that you would recommend? I tried googling and my eyes are glazing over because of the choices.

I would like to know what where the issues because you use an other ic for swtiching the data lines if I understand it correctly, isn't the mux just for the detection? (since I'm not a student anymore I can't find a free program to open the .sch files)

Ok, thanks, reading the schematics, you use the mux to switch between the power supply and the dual fet bus switch to switch the data line. This one is specified for USB application.
I don't know if I am right but the VCC is connected to USB_5V that could be lost while the mux switches the power line. I would connect the VCC to the WII_5V.

I also think that the MUX is unnecessary since the usb drive won't draw a lot of current.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Don't do this without a Printed Circuit board, usb Data lines are sensitive, and you need a custom board to accommodate this.
You need an EDA (Electrical Design Application), Like Eagle, or Kicad.

I also think that the MUX is unnecessary since the usb drive won't draw a lot of current.
Whut, that's not why you use a multiplexer for Voltage. IIRC it's so you don't backfeed 5V into the the 5V regulator @Aurelio or whoever should be able to confirm or deny

Yes of course, my alternative would have to use the micro usb power line only for the detection on the MUX and not using it for another purpose. It's already directly connected to this IC so I don't think that if there is a risk, it will be bigger.
However I can understand that this ic is interessant, because it allows to transfer the data without having the battery connected and I think this is why the VCC of the mux is connected to the USB_5V.
I still don't know if there is a possible issue because of the switching process, but It would only occurs if the wii battery was powered from the beginning so maybe I was quite wrong.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You want to swap power sources for a few reasons, one being that 5v referenced to the battery ground may not be 5v referenced to the pc ground. Deo is also right that you don't want to backfeed power into a regulator since you'll most likely fry it