Question Not so expensive portabalized wii

Hi,
I have never moded a wii before and I wan't to do it not too expensive in case I fail.

I already have:
  • A 4 layer board Wii
  • Secondary 7” dvd portable screen with builtin speakers (have to test them)
  • A battery pack
  • Notebook speakers
  • A gamecube controller
My idea is to cut the gamecube controller in 2 and having the screen between them with the wii behind.
Something like the gamecube keyboard but more Switch like.
Maybe I would have problem with the board if I trim it and need an other one for the data.

I already have a battery pack, I know there would be some loss but could I use it to use the 5v directly and then use a regulator to get the 3.3v, 1.15v and 1v?

If I want to have the screen + an hdmi output will it work together or do I have to use a some method to switch the connection between them.

For the gamecube ports it's kind of the same question but different. To use it in the games can I use the second and third port to play on a tv just with disconnecting the first one or do I have to do a process similar to the precedent question?

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
Do you have a controller board for your screen since it's out of a DVD player? You can't run the native video straight to the ribbon cable

I have a DVD player with an additional screen with a jack with av in wrote beside.
I assumed it was a regular one but to be honest I have to find a rca to jack cable to check it.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Pls don't use an ascii gamecube controller for portablizing, they are rare and don't deserve to be cut up like that :'C
if you are using it because you have it on hand, I'll trade you a gc+ for that controller, just don't cut it or gut it, it's a nice boy.
I just re-read it and misunderstood that part my bad

You can probably use that dvd drive screen with the av cords, but I don't think the screen is going to look good, while buying like a "5 screen from ebay for like $15-$30 will look alot better

also pics of the dvd player would be helpful ^^

20190604_190600.jpg

Maybe I should look at screens from another source, but since I'm in Europe I'll have to go directly to Chinese website so it is quite a bit long.
Is there a guide for good screens?
I don't even want to cut my original GameCube controller so I guess I'll end up using a cheap clone.

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
Here's a great thread for various components: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portablizing-bom.367/
There aren't many screens with native component input if that's what you're going for. If you want to use Aurelio's VGA mod, I think you can pretty much use any screen with a VGA port. Its harder to do but it gives you a lot more and cheaper options. Otherwise composite video may be easiest.

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
As for your HDMI output, they easily just work together, like if you plugged into a TV both screens would be identical. You don't need to do anything special for this, just run two wires for each video signal, one to the internal screen and one to the HDMI converter (I recommend Wii2HDMI, I used one in my Wii laptop and its still working great). If your portable's screen has a separate power button, you could turn just the portable screen off if you wanted only the TV on.

There are two ways you could do the video signal:
-Both could use the same signal, either composite or component, and they would be identical as above.
-Both could use different signals, for example if you used composite for your internal screen and component for the HDMI, you could make a switch for the mode pin to switch the signal back and forth. This would give a little better quality signal on the HDMI.

Thank you for your answer, I will see for a better screen once I've tested that one but I think it will be bad yes.
I assumed it was directly composite since I always used a composite cable with my wii.
Since there is a relatively easy mod it looks nice.
I guess I can put a awitch on the 3v3 wire for switching between component and composite?

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
I guess I can put a awitch on the 3v3 wire for switching between component and composite?
Exactly. Also I forgot to mention the Wii2HDMI only accepts component

Ok, perfect, so it will serve me to switch between screens aswell.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I looked for screens, I found the one that is said to be the best one in the Portablizing BOM for 40$,
https://www.dx.com/p/l7009-7-0-tft-...bnc-av-input-stand-black-2045069#.XPgVE71R0uU

I found another one with like 15 rebranding for only 22$
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BYN...7c-4a1b-bff3-bba8ef002f31&transAbTest=ae803_5

The first one is component and for 40$ I think it's a good price but I don't know if it's worth.
The quality difference between component/VGA and composite is massive. Definitely go for the better quality

Thank you for your answer.
Since I don't have any cable and I've read many thing about buying all awg 30 to 38 magnet wire, is there a size that is ok for everything?
In the portabalizing BOM there is only awg 34 wire so is it enough?

I guess I should take multistrand wire for it to be more solid or will it be a nightmare to solder?

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
Thank you for your answer.
Since I don't have any cable and I've read many thing about buying all awg 30 to 38 magnet wire, is there a size that is ok for everything?
In the portabalizing BOM there is only awg 34 wire so is it enough?

I guess I should take multistrand wire for it to be more solid or will it be a nightmare to solder?
You'll want thicker wire for power, shielded wire for the video signals to preserve the quality, just solder the shield to ground on both ends. Multistrand is recommended unless its on tiny pins or vias where you would use magnet wire.

Its all in the FAQ https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.p...ve-wii-trimming-and-troubleshooting-faq.2385/

Last edited: