Discussion Wii Power Management System (open source)

I am going to buy a couple of boards (without components). The minimum quantity I can order is 10. Does someone also want a board. The price I am going to pay for one board is $1.40 International shipping is €1.45. I am not doing this to make money but just to get rid of boards I will never use.

When you get the boards you could start a thread on the selling section, people interested will go there and open a pm so you make your deal

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
For anyone interested in an assembled pcb, they will be for sale soon. I will give more details as it comes closer.

Though I wonder, is this a succsessor of Aurelios WiiHUD PowerMii?
[answer is no]

Thanks for answering and sorry if this is something I should not have asked.

If you want to make something like this, first you need to learn a PCB design software
PCB design/layout is definately an important aspect to it. I am not experienced, so this might be wrong:
Is it easier to learn it by trial and horror error without going through some advanced courses, than designing the schematic (and how to use which component and such)?

the datasheets of the parts you use basically tell you how to design the circuit
That was the part I was more curiose about. I just saw the "BQ25895M" that seems to be responsible for "battery charge management and system power path management" and "various safety features". In retrospect, it makes sense to use an IC for it and not hack something together that may or may not work.

And now that I think about it, if the schematics are partally given, the PCB layout migth be harder, especially so because of the size constraint...

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
[answer is no]

Thanks for answering and sorry if this is something I should not have asked.

PCB design/layout is definately an important aspect to it. I am not experienced, so this might be wrong:
Is it easier to learn it by trial and horror error without going through some advanced courses, than designing the schematic (and how to use which component and such)?

That was the part I was more curiose about. I just saw the "BQ25895M" that seems to be responsible for "battery charge management and system power path management" and "various safety features". In retrospect, it makes sense to use an IC for it and not hack something together that may or may not work.

And now that I think about it, if the schematics are partally given, the PCB layout migth be harder, especially so because of the size constraint...
If you dive into pcb design with no idea, you are only going to struggle and waste money. Here are some good tips for buck regulator layout http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt614/slyt614.pdf
http://rohmfs.rohm.com/en/products/...ng_regulator/converter_pcb_layout_appli-e.pdf
Also start by studying the Electronics 101 videos https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/electronics-101-videos.1224/

Please make a new thread for any more questions, this is not right thread.

Sorry for being a lazy person, but would this solution cost less than a bms and pth regulators?
Also, isn't this like the powermii lite?
EDIT: oops I'm stupid and should have read closer to other responses ignore this

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Just pushed a change to the github, set the TREG register on the BQ IC to limit the charge current when the junction temperature gets too hot. Please download the latest .hex before programming your own boards.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Just pushed a change to the github, set the TREG register on the BQ IC to limit the charge current when the junction temperature gets too hot. Please download the latest .hex before programming your own boards.
Why did you set VINDPM to 15. 3V?

Hey gman, does the PMS disconnect the batteries when you plug the charger in while playing?
Also, how hard would it be to edit the code to allow the desired input to 5v. I’m considering this because I would like to hook up the PMS to a usb-c breakout.
BR

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hey gman, does the PMS disconnect the batteries when you plug the charger in while playing?
Also, how hard would it be to edit the code to allow the desired input to 5v. I’m considering this because I would like to hook up the PMS to a usb-c breakout.
BR
It shoudnt disconnect the batteries no. You can already use 5-14V input.

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
Possibly stupid question, I only see one battery pad, how do you do a 2S setup?
Edit: wait I just looked at the description in the store, are you only supposed to use 1S?

Another question, why is 12v charging recommended over 5v?

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Possibly stupid question, I only see one battery pad, how do you do a 2S setup?
Edit: wait I just looked at the description in the store, are you only supposed to use 1S?

Another question, why is 12v recommended over 5v?
Yes, it's 1S only.
12V is recommended because it can provide more power, since the charger ic input current is limited to 3.5A

That’s great! That means I only need to get a usb-c breakout and a few pull-down resistors on the cc-lines and I should be able to lose the 2.1mm jack.

If only my PMS could get shipped...

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A