Worklog PsWii

Hello BitBuilt!

It has been a while since I posted a new worklog. For the past year and a half since I have officially given up on my first wii portable, I have been working on designing and planning for this new portable and hopefully this contest will give me the motivation needed to finish.

The reason it is named the PsWii is because I am making a combo Wii and PS2 portable in one. Inside the PsWii will be a fully functional Wii and PS2. I have been making slow progress with school, but last year with the start of my first job, I was able to make the circuit board which will handle all of the video switching, audio switching, USB switching, audio amplification, and voltage regulation. I used ExpressPCB for the design which was really easy to use, but when it came time to actually get the board made, the board design file was not in a format which any PCB building place accepted. Here are some pictures of the design and final product.

Starting Circuit Diagram.jpg
This was the starting layout of my board, but it was not well laid out and I ended up changing it later.

Final Diagram Partially Completed.jpg Final Diagram Completed.jpg
This was the ending layout of my board. The top left part of the board handles the USB switching from Wii to PS2. The top right part handles the video switching from Wii to PS2. I am using Component video for this project. The bottom right handles voltage regulation. The bottom left handles audio switching and amplification. For some reason I do not have a picture of my board design with everything finished, but it was finished completely before I had the board made.

Bare Circuit Board.jpg Bare Fixed Circuit Board.jpg
Here is a picture of the fully completed board. In my design, I accidentally flipped one of the connectors backwards. So when I finally got my boards in the mail, I had to cut out the connector, flip it around, and solder the wires to the connector by hand because I cut through the traces.

Populated Circuit Board.jpg
Here is a picture of the fully populated board. All of the major parts use through hole parts because at the time I designed the board, I was not good enough at soldering to solder anything surface mount that was not a passive component like a diode or a capacitor. I am really happy with how the board turned out.

I also have my battery setup all done. I am using the standard red board for charge and play. Here are a couple pictures.
Charging Board.jpg Batteries.jpg

I have also been working on the Wii and PS2 trims. I have all of the software side done on both systems. I recently have been working on the U10 and Bluetooth relocations on the Wii. I will get the Wii and hopefully the PS2 trimmed this weekend.

List of Parts and Features that will be implemented later:
GC+ board
PS2 controller board
L7009 screen for component video
A Fan/Heatsink combo that will be used to cool both systems.
White Portablize theme that @JacksonS made for his WiiSP that he is letting me use (I think it looks really nice)
Speakers (Chances are I will not end up putting speakers in though)
3d printed case (I am trying to avoid frankencasing as much as possible)

This project will hopefully be something I can be proud of at the end of it (unlike my first portable). If anybody has any questions, please ask them.

Also, if anybody can think of a better name, I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Cool project. I hope you can complete it and have it be small enough still. Once GC+2.0 and PS2+ are released, it'll be possible to have one microcontroller act as both a ps2 and GC controller if you know what you're doing.

I was not planning on using GC+ 2.0 and PS2+. I kind of just wanted to get it done this summer and without knowing if they would come out in time, I did not take the risk of implementing them in my design. If this comes out a success, I will definitely make a second better and smaller edition. But since I do not really know coding or anything, I highly doubt I could integrate a GC+2.0 and a PS2+ together into one unit.

And I am hoping for the size to be about 5 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Length will be determined by my 7 inch screen and controls which will probably be about 2 inches on each side. I think it will be a good size. Not too big.

One of the staff notified me that there was not a picture or a card in the pictures I posted earlier labeling the 2019 BitBuilt Summer Contest. I just edited that in so that I would not be breaking any rules.

I have made a bit of progress since my last update though. I have successfully performed a U10 and Bluetooth relocation on my Wii. I am not really sure if I am going to relocate the MX chip though. I hopefully will end up doing that as well.

I also got all of the software I wanted installed on both consoles. I did have a weird issue that I would post here for if somebody encounters the same problem.

If you want to play PS1 games on your PS2 through USB, component video has weird issues. Only certain monitors and televisions will actually accept the component video signal the PS1 games create. Just keep that in mind when you are looking and testing for screens.

Hello BitBuilt. I am back with another update. This week, I wanted to get at least my wii trim working. I decided to practice trimming a 6 layer board first seeing as how I have never done a trim before and I only have 1 4-layer wii and have 5 6-layer wiis. The trim ended up going really smoothly. After taking a Dremel to my board, I sanded it for about an hour and a half starting at 180 grit sandpaper and working my way up to 1500 grit. The edges were so smooth. Here is a picture of my trim after I finished sanding. (Sorry for the bad picture quality. My phone camera is terrible.)

Wii 6 Layer Trim.jpg

After I did the trimming, I then went to test the trim the next day. That went off without a hitch. Everything worked great. There were a couple problems with the video colors, but after I grounded the RCA jacks, most of the color seemed to come back to normal. I did end up having to switch two of the component cables for the colors to come back to normal. The weird thing though is that they do not line up with what the 6-layer trimming guide says. I am not sure if it is just my revision or if something else is weird. But here is a picture of my working wii trim.

6 Layer Trim Test.jpg

The PS2 trim will hopefully be coming next week. We will see what happens. I am really happy with how my progress is coming.