Question I need help with making a PS2 Portable

I use eBay but I cannot find any 7900x models. Idk how you did but I never can.
Don’t look up 7900x, look up the actual model number and keep diving in, you’ll also end up getting emails when some are listed

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I'm still not sure what's going wrong exactly with it, they're marketed as "high drain batteries" and can supply up to 20 amps, but every source I've found online says that a higher amp rating from a power supplier is never a bad thing that it's just "the maximum it can supply and it's better to have higher amps than lower" but I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong, if you know better and can help me please I really need it, I made a post on the forum asking but no one said much on it.
Since I don't know much about PS2s, I can't say what exactly is wrong, I can tell you the high drain batteries won't make a difference. The advice you found was mostly right, it won't take any more amps than it needs, yes, but if you accidentally short something there is much more power that can come out and pop whatever was shorting

Ok I'll do that instead. I will also check the voltage and current of the PS2 when I get home.
I would suggest looking for a 79001 as they are most common, but there are 79000, 79001, 79002, 79003, 79004, 79006, 79007, and 79008 models. As for voltage, it will be labeled somewhere around 8.5v, but the PS2 will run all the way down to around 6ish volts on stock regulators (as mentioned to me by gman).

Since I don't know much about PS2s, I can't say what exactly is wrong, I can tell you the high drain batteries won't make a difference. The advice you found was mostly right, it won't take any more amps than it needs, yes, but if you accidentally short something there is much more power that can come out and pop whatever was shorting

I would suggest looking for a 79001 as they are most common, but there are 79000, 79001, 79002, 79003, 79004, 79006, 79007, and 79008 models. As for voltage, it will be labeled somewhere around 8.5v, but the PS2 will run all the way down to around 6ish volts on stock regulators (as mentioned to me by gman).
Yep I second this, there’s even a tiny mod online that allows you to run it more efficiently st the 6v but I honestly don’t understand it because the guide is not stupid proof and I’m stupid.

Also I learned something new, I thought it was just the 79001-3, more options for me to google from now on.

Some of the wiring is obscured and it looks like your hands were a bit shaky while taking the photos, I'd reflow the solder and make sure there are no bridged connections by accident then retry it on, if that doesn't fix it, run the screen with another input using the original cables it came with and see if that turns on, that way you can narrow down what's breaking And the last thing is make sure you have it connected to the right spot on the ps2's motherboard.

Some of the wiring is obscured and it looks like your hands were a bit shaky while taking the photos, I'd reflow the solder and make sure there are no bridged connections by accident then retry it on, if that doesn't fix it, run the screen with another input using the original cables it came with and see if that turns on, that way you can narrow down what's breaking And the last thing is make sure you have it connected to the right spot on the ps2's motherboard.
I never tried it in the first place, I think it may be broken. I ripped off three parts on it because of the 5v mod. I may have done it wrong. The connections on the PS2 are correct as I followed the trimming guide.

I never tried it in the first place, I think it may be broken. I ripped off three parts on it because of the 5v mod. I may have done it wrong. The connections on the PS2 are correct as I followed the trimming guide.
Shoot that was a really bad idea, I mean the only thing you can do is bringing back the parts you desoldered from the board and testing it out, it's best to test things out at every single step to make sure that you localise the problem

Shoot that was a really bad idea, I mean the only thing you can do is bringing back the parts you desoldered from the board and testing it out, it's best to test things out at every single step to make sure that you localise the problem
I've cut most of it up so I'm pretty sure it's stuffed, may have to get a new one at this point and actually test to see if it works. Also batteries, do I need two 4.2v batteries? The 7700x series does not have a voltage drop like the 7900x series does. I have two 3.7v batteries that would work perfectly for the 7900x series, but they are not powerful enough for the 7700x series.

I've cut most of it up so I'm pretty sure it's stuffed, may have to get a new one at this point and actually test to see if it works. Also batteries, do I need two 4.2v batteries? The 7700x series does not have a voltage drop like the 7900x series does. I have two 3.7v batteries that would work perfectly for the 7900x series, but they are not powerful enough for the 7700x series.
I have no experience with anything but the 7900x models sorry man, I think the same can be said about most everyone here since the want to use the trimming guide. I'm going to guess and say you can use the 3.7v on the 7700x models, the only thing is for how long, since I'm not sure how power demanding it is, because the 3.7 in series will produce 7.4 and at full charge they should be around 8.4v in my experience. I've never heard of 4.2v batteries? Though I'd also look into a way to regulate the output of the batteries into the amount you need (say 7.4) so that the voltage is consistent though I have no idea how to do that, I only have some ideas from what I've seen g-man do, I'm still studying up about the subject.

I have no experience with anything but the 7900x models sorry man, I think the same can be said about most everyone here since the want to use the trimming guide. I'm going to guess and say you can use the 3.7v on the 7700x models, the only thing is for how long, since I'm not sure how power demanding it is, because the 3.7 in series will produce 7.4 and at full charge they should be around 8.4v in my experience. I've never heard of 4.2v batteries? Though I'd also look into a way to regulate the output of the batteries into the amount you need (say 7.4) so that the voltage is consistent though I have no idea how to do that, I only have some ideas from what I've seen g-man do, I'm still studying up about the subject.
I'm just going off what I've heard. 7700x series have no volatage drop like the 7900x series do so that's why I recently bought one. It should have arrived today but the courier van never showed up to pick up the package. Once it arrives I'll just reattach the batteries to that PS2 instead.

I'm just going off what I've heard. 7700x series have no volatage drop like the 7900x series do so that's why I recently bought one. It should have arrived today but the courier van never showed up to pick up the package. Once it arrives I'll just reattach the batteries to that PS2 instead.
Keep us updated!

Keep us updated!
Ok I have it and have tested it without any modification. It won't boot at all. It did say FreeMCBoot only once and now it doesn't anymore. I have tried booting it without FreeMCBoot, and with the disk drive in and out. Any help?

Have you localised the issue to the ps2 or screen yet? That's what you need to do for now, until then too many things that could be the fault

Have you localised the issue to the ps2 or screen yet? That's what you need to do for now, until then too many things that could be the fault
No I have not. There are no issues with the 77000 model I have (except the screen), but the 79002 model won't boot at all. Maybe I should just focus on getting the 77000 model to work first. I need to somehow get 8.4v total to power it. I have heard that there is no voltage drop in that model. I have a 4 pack for batteries, do you know what could get me exactly 8.4v?

No I have not. There are no issues with the 77000 model I have (except the screen), but the 79002 model won't boot at all. Maybe I should just focus on getting the 77000 model to work first. I need to somehow get 8.4v total to power it. I have heard that there is no voltage drop in that model. I have a 4 pack for batteries, do you know what could get me exactly 8.4v?
Fully charged 4.2 v batteries should work. my only thing is I'm not sure what voltage level the ps2 would turn off at for the 77000 models.

Fully charged 4.2 v batteries should work. my only thing is I'm not sure what voltage level the ps2 would turn off at for the 77000 models.
Sorry it's been so long since I checked this forum. I cannot find any 4.2v batteries or 8.4v batteries anywhere. I decided to find the 79002 model because 2x 3.7v batteries will work.

Last edited:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
The standard lion 3.7v batteries can be charged up to about 4v at maximum. If we're talking about 18650s (really common, super easy to work with, you get the idea) they tend to be considered "flat" about 3.2v, so in series you'll have a running voltage between 8 to 6.4v to power your portable :)

The standard lion 3.7v batteries can be charged up to about 4v at maximum. If we're talking about 18650s (really common, super easy to work with, you get the idea) they tend to be considered "flat" about 3.2v, so in series you'll have a running voltage between 8 to 6.4v to power your portable :)
Cool as thanks for this info! The PS2 79002 is currently shipping to my house, so I will test it out and see if it works when it arrives.
One other thing, I need a new screen because I broke it. Could you recommend me one?

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Personally I like large screens, so the L7009 is my go-to. It's got a small driver board, and also accepts YPbPr which the PS2 can output. In saying that I also did a HDMI PS2 portable so I think I might get the "crazy" flag when it comes to giving advice.

Thing is that screens are like clothes - everyone prefers something different. Check out G-Mans BOM for a good list of screens that he finds to be of good quality :)