Worklog Greasy Idiot's First Portable (WIP)

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I'd cut off a bit more where the opening is, other than that it should snap on, instead of snapping off...

Portables
So this project died for over half a year, because so did my motivation. I was without a job for a while, thus without my own money, thus unable to buy parts. So I was already kinda screwed, and that's not even mentioning how overwhelmed I started to feel. I don't know anything about so many things, and I'm afraid to ask too many dumb questions because I worry I'll just get annoying and piss you guys off (which is by far the last thing I want to do. I wanna be a good member of this community, not an annoying one.)

Today I'm saying fuck it. I got my job back (though I need to ask for more hours :P), the sun is out, spring is in the air, and I'm bringing this bitch back.

The first thing I'm doing is buying a new soldering iron. Mine sucks and is terrible for soldering to small things likes vias or pins. I'm also gonna buy some thinner solder, because the solder I have is also way too thick to solder to vias or pins.
I'm also going to buy a new screen, one that can be powered off of 5 volts. The one I bought is meant for 12 volts, which I bought because I was planning to use it on a GameCube before you guys redirected me to doing a Wii portable instead. I know there are ways to run higher voltage screens on lower voltages, and I did give it a shot, but I couldn't get it to work so I'm assuming it's just beyond my low skill level.
Now I'm gonna stop being afraid to ask questions and do exactly that. I'm sorry if they're dumb, but they're questions I couldn't seem to find the answer to anywhere else.

1. What soldering iron and solder should I buy? I'm asking because you guys probably know what's best for this kinda stuff, as well as what's best for an idiot like me.

2. I don't know anything about screw sizes and what to get, so I don't know what to look for. What screws do you guys use for smaller components like the 3ds sticks?

3. Again, I don't know anything about what to look for here. What do you guys recommend using for a power input port and a power supply?

That's all for now. There will definitely be more questions, and hopefully more updates in the future!
Thanks again everybody.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
About your screen, you should probably see if you can get it to work on 5v, we can help you if you're stuck. You probably won't be able to find a screen that works on 5v out of the box, most are designed for 12v.

1. The Hakko FX888D is a great iron, it runs around 90 dollars. If that's out of your price range, the X-Tronic 3020 was also great for me, it's around 60 dollars. If you're really on a budget, the Weller WLC100 is good for around 40 dollars.

2. Personally I just repurpose the wii's screws for everything, but I would use some m2 machine screws, which are what the majority of the wii's are. They are a good size. For the 3ds sliders, I know @Aurelio has had some success with screws for those but personally I just 3d print a thing to hold them in place and use m2 screws, you can check my model repository in the 3d modelling subforum for details.

3. Most people just use a standard 2.1mm barrel jack for a power input port, and a 12v 3a power supply. I just bought one off eBay, but you might find them also from old laptop power supplies or other accessories. Basically, you need a voltage within the range of your battery management board and regulators, that can supply enough current to charge and play if that's what you want to do.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Having a backplate to hold the sliders in place is definitely a better choice. The stock screws are 1.2mm and not all printers can handle that easily

Look forward to seeing your portable! God everyone with cases from Shapeways is making me jealous. They come out so cleannnn

Portables
Look forward to seeing your portable! God everyone with cases from Shapeways is making me jealous. They come out so cleannnn
Oh, I'm not going to get my full case printed from Shapeways. I got the prototype of the first half printed from them, but getting the whole thing printed came out to over $100 :P
If I need to, I might, but right now I'm looking for other options.

Oh, I'm not going to get my full case printed from Shapeways. I got the prototype of the first half printed from them, but getting the whole thing printed came out to over $100 :P
If I need to, I might, but right now I'm looking for other options.
You should try checking out r/3dprintmything. I got my G-Wii case and it's button supports printed and shipped for $20. Of course it won't be shapeways grade prints, but it's pretty good for it's competitive pricing.

Portables
You should try checking out r/3dprintmything. I got my G-Wii case and it's button supports printed and shipped for $20. Of course it won't be shapeways grade prints, but it's pretty good for it's competitive pricing.
Damn. I'll totally check that out! Thanks for letting me know about it.

Portables
Alright, for better or for worse, making a good wii portable is now officially my senior project. I had to fight a little to make it happen (my high school isn't super into technology), but I did it. Hopefully that will motivate me to get this done before the end of summer.
Obviously this thing is not being to be very good, but I do plan on making other revisions until I finally end up with something alright. Been pretty busy lately but I'm hoping to start working on this thing again pretty soon.
Just a quick question: I have no idea what to use for a power switch. Any recommendations? The one in the G-Wii is pretty nice, but I have no idea what it's called because I don't know part names or anything.
Thanks again guys.