Worklog A PS2 Portable: Designed by the community built by Edd

Edd

So i have decided to start a Playstation 2 portable and would like to make a guide on parts people might recommend, Screens, Controller boards, cases, well everything really. I will Also Document the building cutting process and anythings i learn on the way.
As i collect information i will make diagrams that anyone could understand on the wiring and tricky bits and hopefully be more of a tutorial than just a guide. just a quick disclaimer i have never worked on a project like this but i will listen to anyone willing to lend some expertise.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
So you are saying you have no idea what you are doing, and are planning on guiding people on what to do? Blind leading the blind is not a good plan. I know your intentions are good, but it's best to learn before you teach.

The reason there are no hand-holding walkthroughs is because the process is so dynamic. Every week there are new advancements that make old ones obsolete. With how fast the scene is moving right now, any specific walkthrough would be obsolete before it could be completed. Well written guides are a LOT of work, and the ones we have written are ones that are universal and can stand the test of time. Providing users with outdate information does more harm than good.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Rather than making a guide, you should make a worklog where you document what worked and didn't work with your specific build. You can both get advice and help future people by showing the good and bad of what worked. Guides are absolute in the sense that people trust them to be 100% right and follow them exactly, whereas worklogs are more like "here's what I did and here's how it turned out."

Edd

So you are saying you have no idea what you are doing, and are planning on guiding people on what to do? Blind leading the blind is not a good plan. I know your intentions are good, but it's best to learn before you teach.

The reason there are no hand-holding walkthroughs is because the process is so dynamic. Every week there are new advancements that make old ones obsolete. With how fast the scene is moving right now, any specific walkthrough would be obsolete before it could be completed. Well written guides are a LOT of work, and the ones we have written are ones that are universal and can stand the test of time. Providing users with outdate information does more harm than good.
Well I just feel that this is a project many people want to start but without "learning" by chopping up a PlayStation they could have a guide that definitely works. It doesn't really matter if it's an old method or if someone finds a better way. Because it can just be added to the guide.
However I see that myself wouldn't be a great teacher I just meant that if the reason no one had made a tutorial on the ps2 portable was because they couldn't be bothered or would find it to difficult to document the steps that I could do that for them :).

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
This is a guide.. I don't think you understand what I meant but thanks anyways.
Lol I understand what you meant. You want a full guide for how to build a portable, start to finish. We have guides for each step of the process, that's only the part for trimming a motherboard. There are other guides on regulation, case making, even some linked guides to the basics of electronics. All of the information is there, it's just not compiled into one document since like Shank said, the process is dynamic. There isn't one way to build a portable, there are infinite ways. It's much more important to understand what you're doing than it is to follow direct instructions, which is another part of why there isn't a complete guide.

Edd

Lol I understand what you meant. You want a full guide for how to build a portable, start to finish. We have guides for each step of the process, that's only the part for trimming a motherboard. There are other guides on regulation, case making, even some linked guides to the basics of electronics. All of the information is there, it's just not compiled into one document since like Shank said, the process is dynamic. There isn't one way to build a portable, there are infinite ways. It's much more important to understand what you're doing than it is to follow direct instructions, which is another part of why there isn't a complete guide.
Okay so if I make a guide on how to do this I am wrong?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Okay so if I make a guide on how to do this I am wrong?
Like I said, I think you should make a worklog rather than a guide. A guide is saying "here's what to do" whereas a worklog is saying "here's what I did".

Edd

Like I said, I think you should make a worklog rather than a guide. A guide is saying "here's what to do" whereas a worklog is saying "here's what I did".
I wanted to make a guide together :(

ahrlad

How about you read through all the worklogs and collect the information, appropriately attributed, in an easy-to-read guide?

You could begin with a simpler topic, such as LCD tech. Try doing a accessible but thorough write-up on console output formats and different display protocols, sections on controller boards, power consumption, fpgas vs pre- and custom-built boards, backlight control, options for OSDs or HUDs, and which options make sense given specific budgets/project sizes/levels of expertise.

You can find information here, but also in different enthusiast spaces such as fpv drone folks, car display dudes, 3d printer nerds, diy vr forums, and of course sbc forums and microcontroller boards.

Now if you manage that tiny part of your project without immediately demanding somebody else do the job for you, I'm sure you'll find people willing to help with the rest.

Edd

How about you read through all the worklogs and collect the information, appropriately attributed, in an easy-to-read guide?

You could begin with a simpler topic, such as LCD tech. Try doing a accessible but thorough write-up on console output formats and different display protocols, sections on controller boards, power consumption, fpgas vs pre- and custom-built boards, backlight control, options for OSDs or HUDs, and which options make sense given specific budgets/project sizes/levels of expertise.

You can find information here, but also in different enthusiast spaces such as fpv drone folks, car display dudes, 3d printer nerds, diy vr forums, and of course sbc forums and microcontroller boards.

Now if you manage that tiny part of your project without immediately demanding somebody else do the job for you, I'm sure you'll find people willing to help with the rest.
Look there's no need to get mad, all I wanted to do was bring all the information together to make a guide. Would save people from searching around old threads for information if someone already knows the answers.