Discussion Wii Power Management System (open source)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Amazing. It's truly a work of art. But if I wouldn't want, let's say... To wait for it to become sellable, what are all the parts to make one, if I'm willing to spend the amount of time and energy to make one, what will be all the exact parts that you used like with the links and stuff, cuz there's more than different sizes regulators and stuff. (Sorry in advance if this has already been asked or whatever.)
The Bill of Materials with exact digikey links is in the github

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Amazing. It's truly a work of art. But if I wouldn't want, let's say... To wait for it to become sellable, what are all the parts to make one, if I'm willing to spend the amount of time and energy to make one, what will be all the exact parts that you used like with the links and stuff, cuz there's more than different sizes regulators and stuff. (Sorry in advance if this has already been asked or whatever.)
the git hub link in the first post has all the information you need to make your own

EDIT; Ninja'd ;-;

the git hub link in the first post has all the information you need to make your own

EDIT; Ninja'd ;-;
Ah thanks, i just simply didn't look for the last part of the link, and it has all the links.
If you don't mind me asking, (I'm new at this) what's with all the codes the the link?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Ah thanks, i just simply didn't look for the last part of the link, and it has all the links.
If you don't mind me asking, (I'm new at this) what's with all the codes the the link?
There's many extra files for the original kicad and mplab source files. If you just want to build one, you really only need the Gerber files and the hex code under build/dist/production

This is really cool! One question: Would a multi-cell battery array (specifically a parallel setup, like a 1s2p referenced in the original post) require a separate balance charging circuit? I think I'm thinking of a series pack, but I'm new to lithium batteries and not sure. Thanks!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
This is really cool! One question: Would a multi-cell battery array (specifically a parallel setup, like a 1s2p referenced in the original post) require a separate balance charging circuit? I think I'm thinking of a series pack, but I'm new to lithium batteries and not sure. Thanks!
That's not necessary, you can do parallel configurations.

I'm intending of using the Wii AC to DC charger. The Wii outputs 12V which is ideal for this board, but 3.7A instead of your 3.07A. If I use that charger is it possible to still make it function? And will my portable Wii function with only 2 batteries (the 18650)? Or do I need a 2s2p or 4s to get a minimum of 4 hours of battery life?

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I'm intending of using the Wii AC to DC charger. The Wii outputs 12V which is ideal for this board, but 3.7A instead of your 3.07A. If I use that charger is it possible to still make it function? And will my portable Wii function with only 2 batteries (the 18650)? Or do I need a 2s2p or 4s to get a minimum of 4 hours of battery life?
The charging current can go up to 3.072A, yes but this is at a lower voltage stepped down for the battery (which is all handled by the charging IC). 12V*3A is plenty of power to play with, it will work. This is only meant for a 1 series battery set up but you can put more in parallel.

The charging current can go up to 3.072A, yes but this is at a lower voltage stepped down for the battery (which is all handled by the charging IC). 12V*3A is plenty of power to play with, it will work. This is only meant for a 1 series battery set up but you can put more in parallel.
So if I have a 2s2p layout of 18650 batteries I should be able to get at around 4 hours of life?

THIS IS FOR 1 SERIES. use 1S4P
Doesn't the Wii need a component that uses 5V? If I only have a voltage of 3.7 and a capacity of over 50000mah how can I get a long lasting battery while maintaining a functioning wii? (Sorry if I don't get it)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Doesn't the Wii need a component that uses 5V? If I only have a voltage of 3.7 and a capacity of over 50000mah how can I get a long lasting battery while maintaining a functioning wii? (Sorry if I don't get it)
The 5V regulator is a boost regulator where the input voltage can be less than the output volage

The amount of work you guys put into the community is blowing me away!

Though I wonder, is this a succsessor of Aurelios WiiHUD PowerMii?

Hardware:
How were you guys even able to design such beauty? What all went into making this? Is there maybe some sort of worklog, or the need for help from experienced people (probably not me xD)? (Probably a too personal question, but) Did you have prior experience in PMS designs?

Sorry for asking so many questions *blush*

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
The amount of work you guys put into the community is blowing me away!

Though I wonder, is this a succsessor of Aurelios WiiHUD PowerMii?

Hardware:
How were you guys even able to design such beauty? What all went into making this? Is there maybe some sort of worklog, or the need for help from experienced people (probably not me xD)? (Probably a too personal question, but) Did you have prior experience in PMS designs?

Sorry for asking so many questions *blush*
To answer your questions, no powermii is more powerful than this circuit (with a more expensive BOM of course).

If you want to make something like this, first you need to learn a PCB design software (Altium, Eagle, KiCAD are the most common). You would want to try to design something simple first, like a PTH breakout board or something. When you're comfortable with PCB design you can start making more advanced circuits. You definitely don't need a background in PMS design to make something like this, because the datasheets of the parts you use basically tell you how to design the circuit, however, to understand the datasheets you would probably at least need some background in EE courses (undergraduate circuits classes) and for this specific board background in microcontrollers that are lower level than Arduino (embedded C/communication protocols like i2c and spi/configuring chips at register level).