Question I need help with making a PS2 Portable

For the holders you can go pretty much anything you want as long as you can make the desired battery configuration, it just depends on how you are going to arrange them inside your portable. If you order them make sure that the power cables are thick enough if not change them.

For the charger given the charging board input voltage a regular 12V adapter would be ok (so you skip some weird voltage adapters) and for current I think that 3A are enough for a charge and play solution. I'm not too sure about that last one but somebody else will correct me if I'm wrong.
Ok cool as. I have a battery pack like this btw:

Attachments

I wouldn't do that, you should search the data about the charging pcb and use a power supply that outputs between the minimun and maximun voltage recomended for it
srry about that but the one im using accepts it . (I use a 3s) I didn't mean it as he should use a 19v charger on his 2s.

If you struggle with turning the monitor into a 5V, just solder it onto one of the many 8.5 volt output pins on the PS2 motherboard, it works like a charm and there's no need to change anything

If you struggle with turning the monitor into a 5V, just solder it onto one of the many 8.5 volt output pins on the PS2 motherboard, it works like a charm and there's no need to change anything
Really? I've already made the 5v mod buy if I get another monitor I might try this.

Hey I just need to know where to solder my battery board to. I've already setup the batteries and charger.

Hey I just need to know where to solder my battery board to. I've already setup the batteries and charger.
As long as it's untrimmed the exact place as where the power plug goes, the middle point is the positive one and either of the left and right ones are ground.

Hey I need a bit of help. My batteries are hooked up and the ps2 led does turn red but it will not turn on without the charger being plugged in. If I try turn the ps2 on, the led will just turn off. Any help?

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I'm not an expert on the PS2 and it's voltage needs, but it sounds like your batteries aren't providing enough oomph to actually power the PS2, since the charger is able to keep it running. What kind of batteries are you using?

Hey I need a bit of help. My batteries are hooked up and the ps2 led does turn red but it will not turn on without the charger being plugged in. If I try turn the ps2 on, the led will just turn off. Any help?
Definitely an issue with the voltage or amps, one of the reasons people use the 7900x models is because they require less power (they're more efficient) though I'm not sure what yours is requiring, and the other thing would be amps, people on this forum love to use the "PANASONIC NCR18650B" but I got "Samsung High Drain INR18650-25R" though hold off on getting the Samsung ones because i think they might be killing my PS2

2 PS2's I've tried to make so far have all of a sudden stopped working, one of them with a dead capacitor and later dead IC that smoked when I was incorrectly trying to test the faulty component, and the second recently stopped getting the full voltage through the whole PS2 and I'm still not sure what's going wrong exactly with it, they're marketed as "high drain batteries" and can supply up to 20 amps, but every source I've found online says that a higher amp rating from a power supplier is never a bad thing that it's just "the maximum it can supply and it's better to have higher amps than lower" but I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong, if you know better and can help me please I really need it, I made a post on the forum asking but no one said much on it.

I'm not an expert on the PS2 and it's voltage needs, but it sounds like your batteries aren't providing enough oomph to actually power the PS2, since the charger is able to keep it running. What kind of batteries are you using?
I am using two 3.7v 3000mAh batteries in series.
Definitely an issue with the voltage or amps, one of the reasons people use the 7900x models is because they require less power (they're more efficient) though I'm not sure what yours is requiring, and the other thing would be amps, people on this forum love to use the "PANASONIC NCR18650B" but I got "Samsung High Drain INR18650-25R" though hold off on getting the Samsung ones because i think they might be killing my PS2
So would I need the 8.5v total?

I am using two 3.7v 3000mAh batteries in series.

So would I need the 8.5v total?
This is just an educated guess, but possibly yes, test the leads to the normal charger too, because mine for an example supplies 8.7 not 8.5, and as the charge of the battery goes down the voltage of it does too, so let’s say you supply 8.5v, as soon as the battery goes down the voltage will too and it’ll turn off, BUT, before you supply more voltage, check the rated amps of the batteries you’re using and make sure they supply enough current for what the PS2 requires, that’s the more likely issue here, but yes older models were less efficient and needed more volts even without the disk drive from what I read online
440CDEF7-16DB-4EDD-8693-2E9A7CD9AE11.png
Here’s a screen grab about the amps needed for a 79100 series and what the common wisdom is about supplying enough amps

This is just an educated guess, but possibly yes, test the leads to the normal charger too, because mine for an example supplies 8.7 not 8.5, and as the charge of the battery goes down the voltage of it does too, so let’s say you supply 8.5v, as soon as the battery goes down the voltage will too and it’ll turn off, BUT, before you supply more voltage, check the rated amps of the batteries you’re using and make sure they supply enough current for what the PS2 requires, that’s the more likely issue here, but yes older models were less efficient and needed more volts even without the disk drive from what I read online
Ok that sucks. I cannot find a single 7900x model anywhere on the internet, it's like they are secretly sold or something. I'll check the voltage of the ps2 adapter and then I am guessing that I need the exact same voltage as the ps2 to get it to turn on.

Ok that sucks. I cannot find a single 7900x model anywhere on the internet, it's like they are secretly sold or something. I'll check the voltage of the ps2 adapter and then I am guessing that I need the exact same voltage as the ps2 to get it to turn on.
eBay man, I buy ones that say “disk drive is broken” since I don’t need it for my portable, though don’t buy too many lol I still need more of them, and like I said man, double check the amps it needs before you supply more voltage, if you’re supplying less than the required amount it’ll either not turn on or overwork the batteries and overheat them you can be supplying 10v but if the amps are not enough then it won’t turn on because it doesn’t carry enough current

eBay man, I buy ones that say “disk drive is broken” since I don’t need it for my portable, though don’t buy too many lol I still need more of them, and like I said man, double check the amps it needs before you supply more voltage, if you’re supplying less than the required amount it’ll either not turn on or overwork the batteries and overheat them you can be supplying 10v but if the amps are not enough then it won’t turn on because it doesn’t carry enough current
I can't find a single 7900X model PS2. I look every once in a while and I'm never successful in finding one. I was thinking of getting two 4.2v batteries to get it to 8.4v. I'm not sure if that would work yet.