Question (2 questions) IR led power and Wii games not loading?

Sorry, I have 2 questions and I don't want to spam the site.
If I were to take 4 IR leds, would I be able to use an alkaline battery or do I need to plug it into the Wii for power? I wont be trimming so everything'll still be intact. (forward voltage is 1.2-1.3v)

Other question:
For some reason I cannot get Wii games to load. Prii/Postloader (I forget) normally crashes whenever I launch a game. I tried Wiiflow but the console still assumes there's a disc drive\, just causing a read error. Is there any way I could manage to load Wii games through either of the programs?

Just saying if the guides here all say to use a 18650 battery, there's probably a good reason to use a 18650. Also, do you really want to keep swapping out your batteries after each play? Side note, alkaline AAA and AA actually have less battery capacity than the 18650s do. Don't know too much about IRs, but I'm guessing your disc drive problem is an IOS problem.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Just saying if the guides here all say to use a 18650 battery, there's probably a good reason to use a 18650. Also, do you really want to keep swapping out your batteries after each play? Side note, alkaline AAA and AA actually have less battery capacity than the 18650s do. Don't know too much about IRs, but I'm guessing your disc drive problem is an IOS problem.
Silence child, you're completely missing the context and point of the questions.

Sorry, I have 2 questions and I don't want to spam the site.
If I were to take 4 IR leds, would I be able to use an alkaline battery or do I need to plug it into the Wii for power? I wont be trimming so everything'll still be intact. (forward voltage is 1.2-1.3v)

Other question:
For some reason I cannot get Wii games to load. Prii/Postloader (I forget) normally crashes whenever I launch a game. I tried Wiiflow but the console still assumes there's a disc drive\, just causing a read error. Is there any way I could manage to load Wii games through either of the programs?
To answer your questions:
Yes, you can power those LEDs from the Wii itself. Don't need any AA batteries for that, you can just pull power straight from the Wii's 1.15v rail to run them. The minute difference in voltage won't have any noticeable effect on performance.

As for the game loading problem, are you sure that you selected the correct console region when you downloaded PortablizeMii? Even if you did, I'd suggest re-downloading the pack and copying the USB files over again cleanly, might just be a dodgy file. You also need the correct file type, Wii games can only run in WBFS format in Postloader. Apart from that, the only other thing I can think of is to maybe check that your bluetooth and wifi modules are properly seated in their slots. If the BT module isn't connected, Wii games will crash on launch.

Ok so all the files have been downloaded and reconfigured. The only thing is I'm not sure which is the BT module. I narrowed it down to 2 things:
Edit: ok since pictures wont load theres a small chip slightly off the edge, and another chip connected with a grey and black connected to a metal piece w/ a little thermal paste on the top (not cpu/gpu, etc)

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah, the wifi module has paste and two antenna wires connected to it. BT is just on its lonesome by the SD card slot, no extra wires.

Thank you all again! Many projects wouldn't be possible without people like you to help out!

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
I had issues with getting Wii games to load as well. Gamecube worked fine, but Wii would just get stuck at a black screen after I tried to load a game. Ended up being because I was using a USB hub. Why you ask? Well, long story, but getting rid of the hub and plugging the USB stick directly into the Wii fixed my problem. I don't think this is your issue based on your description, but thought I'd share just in case.