Question Controller hookup on motherboard

Don’t know if this has been asked before but where do people wire up the controller to the motherboard? I managed to trim the board using Buds trim guide and have player one all squared away and working. The issue is I cut too much off the board for players 2-4,which isn’t a big deal, however, I plan on eventually adding 4 player support to my portable. Am I screwed and have to get a new board? Or can I use this board?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Show us a picture what you mean. As long as the PIF and U8 is there it is do-able. It can function without the U8 too but it is recommended to keep it on.

You can check continuity between the current solder point and the chip with a multimeter and see which pin goes go which controller that way.

Another question, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using the pif vs the u8 chip?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Another question, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using the pif vs the u8 chip?
The pif is easier because you dont need to wire the u8, but some people experience the controller pak not working without the u8. For a console that's been portablized almost as long as portablizing, it's really not that well documented.

So if I understand correctly the pif is the easiest solution for wiring the data of my controllers?

I'm going to be adding 4 player functionality to my portable. Based on the orientation of my motherboard I'm going to wire to the rear. I'll be wiring to these points.
n64 controllers.jpg

Alright so I finally got my n64 hooked up after a long wait for parts but unfortunately it doesn’t do anything. The chips get warm so I know it’s on. I have a rev 5 and was doing some research about possible fixes. I didn’t have a 2k resistor for pin 8 on the pif so I used a 2.2k. I know for anything under rev4 I need to rewire some 3.3v traces on the back of the board. Does this apply for the the rev 5? I’m also wondering if I trimmed too much off near my 7.4v input

Attachments

Last edited:

Plaidx

Portables
I'm going to be adding 4 player functionality to my portable. Based on the orientation of my motherboard I'm going to wire to the rear. I'll be wiring to these points. View attachment 8202
So you're saying you just need to solder to those smt chips to get the data signals for the p2-4. im trimming my board around here(refer to yellow line). it shouldn't cause any issues right?

Attachments

So you're saying you just need to solder to those smt chips to get the data signals for the p2-4. im trimming my board around here(refer to yellow line). it shouldn't cause any issues right?
Apologies for the lateness of the reply, I just saw this. That's about where I'm going to trim to, I believe it will be fine.

Alright so I finally got my n64 hooked up after a long wait for parts but unfortunately it doesn’t do anything. The chips get warm so I know it’s on. I have a rev 5 and was doing some research about possible fixes. I didn’t have a 2k resistor for pin 8 on the pif so I used a 2.2k. I know for anything under rev4 I need to rewire some 3.3v traces on the back of the board. Does this apply for the the rev 5? I’m also wondering if I trimmed too much off near my 7.4v input
I honestly don't understand why you would cut that much off the area? My only thought could be a port that sits there? But on a serious note, you should practice running your wires more nicely. That 2.2k shouldn't be in the air like that lol
Maybe your video line is too thin too. Try something thicker and shorter
Looks like 30 awg magnet wire?