Question I need help with making a PS2 Portable

looks like yout coming along good. right noe tryna build cash to buy a controller
Yeah, it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Just needed to research and ask around. What kind of controller are you getting? I just got a regular 3rd party PS2 controller. I think I might change the analog sticks to Xbox One sticks because I like them better.

-merge-

All the orange points are connected together inside the PS2 board. You are just grabbing the 5v from one of the points to power your screen. I'd suggest reading through our electronics guides

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/electronics-101-videos.1224/
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portables-and-batteries-a-guide-and-explanation.2228/
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/custom-regulators-an-explanation-and-guide.754/
I took a look at my motherboard and could not find the regulator (5v orange area).

-merge-

Yes the ps2 will boot without a disc drive, free mcboot, or cmos battery.
Do you know where the PS2 regulator is? I need it to power my monitor.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Just needed to research and ask around. What kind of controller are you getting? I just got a regular 3rd party PS2 controller. I think I might change the analog sticks to Xbox One sticks because I like them better.

-merge-

I took a look at my motherboard and could not find the regulator (5v orange area).

-merge-

Do you know where the PS2 regulator is? I need it to power my monitor.
I bought a few 3rd party controllers sadly none survived all died mysteriously one just kept going up all other buttons work also.
I may buy an official controller since those are stronger and better.
Also if you want 5v take it from the usb port its easier and safe in my opinion(that's where I currently power my screen)
or take it from the av port setup (on the ps2) (that's where im powering my audio amp board from!)

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/rules.41/
#3, Please stop double/triple posting! You can edit your post with the edit button, and you can reply to multiple posts at once!
Sorry.

I bought a few 3rd party controllers sadly none survived all died mysteriously one just kept going up all other buttons work also.
Also if you want 5v take it from the usb port its easier and safe in my opinion(that's where I currently power my screen)
or take it from the av port setup (on the ps2) (that's where im powering my audio amp board from!)
I guess an official controller would be better for you. I will take 5v from the USB port, thanks (I will be able to turn it on today for a test :D)

Last edited:
Ok would this be good to go for testing?

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Your images didn't post :(

Now if you are after a controller and aren't afraid of doing some soldering and don't mind a wait, head over to the ModRetro Forums and talk to a member there called RDC - he makes minimised PS2 control boards. On the forums here there were a couple of members developing a PIC chip solution (to be released - I've stopped bugging them), and xck has some custom boards from a manufacturer who makes the knockoff PS2 controls. I'm busy waiting on Chinese new year to be over so I can grab some of those off him as I'm keen to have a play with them :)

Supposing that's not useful advice: The original controller is more durable to being trimmed down than the knockoff ones which I've had a lot of issues with myself.

O
Your images didn't post :(

Now if you are after a controller and aren't afraid of doing some soldering and don't mind a wait, head over to the ModRetro Forums and talk to a member there called RDC - he makes minimised PS2 control boards. On the forums here there were a couple of members developing a PIC chip solution (to be released - I've stopped bugging them), and xck has some custom boards from a manufacturer who makes the knockoff PS2 controls. I'm busy waiting on Chinese new year to be over so I can grab some of those off him as I'm keen to have a play with them :)

Supposing that's not useful advice: The original controller is more durable to being trimmed down than the knockoff ones which I've had a lot of issues with myself.
They didnt send? ok I'll try again. Is this ready to turn on? Ok I turned it on but the screen didn't turn on. Do you know what is wrong from the picture?

Attachments

Last edited:
e
O

They didnt send? ok I'll try again. Is this ready to turn on? Ok I turned it on but the screen didn't turn on. Do you know what is wrong from the picture?
ever turned on the system before to make sure its working?
2) Your connections seem correct but reduce how much exposed wires you have that could short out anything.
3) the monitor turned on be fore attempting?
4) Also the monitor came with a control board (buttons for power, switching between input?)

e

ever turned on the system before to make sure its working?
2) Your connections seem correct but reduce how much exposed wires you have that could short out anything.
3) the monitor turned on be fore attempting?
4) Also the monitor came with a control board (buttons for power, switching between input?)
1) Yes I did (before anything was hooked up)
2) I'll see what I can do with this (the PS2 turns on but not the monitor)
3) I never turned the monitor on beforehand
4) It came a control board for audio up and down and a menu (no power buttons)

1) Yes I did (before anything was hooked up)
2) I'll see what I can do with this (the PS2 turns on but not the monitor)
3) I never turned the monitor on beforehand
4) It came a control board for audio up and down and a menu (no power buttons)
should of checked and make sure the monitor turned on and functionally before trying to modify. that's one of the important thing to keep note of.
could of been dead before u tried to do anything with it.

should of checked and make sure the monitor turned on and functionally before trying to modify. that's one of the important thing to keep note of.
could of been dead before u tried to do anything with it.
Maybe but I do remember reading this:
  • Camera Priority: the monitor will switch to camera mode when reversing.
I'm guessing there is a trigger on the circuit that turns the screen on as soon as the car goes into reverse. I may have to find where this trigger is and turn it on permantly. Any help with this?

My red board also just arrived the other day. I need a bit of help wiring it up. I know I have to solder the pins to the board itself. But I am not sure about the power or charging

Last edited:
Maybe but I do remember reading this:
  • Camera Priority: the monitor will switch to camera mode when reversing.
I'm guessing there is a trigger on the circuit that turns the screen on as soon as the car goes into reverse. I may have to find where this trigger is and turn it on permantly. Any help with this?

My red board also just arrived the other day. I need a bit of help wiring it up. I know I have to solder the pins to the board itself. But I am not sure about the power or charging
hmmm if so tht would mean that it had a signal for when the car goes into revse all you would have to do then is bridge th connecton.
send a pic of red brd

vi is for the inout voltage (charger)
VO is for output (COnsole)
Both share a common ground

vi is for the inout voltage (charger)
VO is for output (COnsole)
Both share a common ground
Thanks for this :D What kind of charger would work? I am not sure at all. If the portable runs on 7.4v total from two 3.7v batteries, would I need to get a 7.4v charger?

Thanks for this :D What kind of charger would work? I am not sure at all. If the portable runs on 7.4v total from two 3.7v batteries, would I need to get a 7.4v charger?
the higher the better to me usually use my lap top 19v charger to charge my 12v pack

Code:
MODERATOR NOTE: Do not EVER give advice like this OR DO THIS. 
 Advice like this will kill people's projects.
  If you don't have a basic understanding of what a volt is and why "more is better" is the worse possible advice someone could give, don't give advice. 
 Cool, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
the higher the better to me usually use my lap top 19v charger to charge my 12v pack
I wouldn't do that, you should search the data about the charging pcb and use a power supply that outputs between the minimun and maximun voltage recomended for it

I wouldn't do that, you should search the data about the charging pcb and use a power supply that outputs between the minimun and maximun voltage recomended for it
Ok cool as. Also for batteries, I have two 3.7v batteries and I am not sure if I should get two of these:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electroni...40.htm?rsqid=7d679e799d754b9a85e5e11f3f2b8efe

OR

One of these:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electroni...50.htm?rsqid=7d679e799d754b9a85e5e11f3f2b8efe

EDIT:
I just found out what the voltages are of the PCB for charging. It is 9-15v charging and 5-8.4v for output.
EDIT 2:
Would these two be good for charging this?

To connect the charger and board together:
https://www.amazon.com/10pcs-Female-Power-Adapter-Connector/dp/B0058Q038A#customerReviews

AND:

The charger itself:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AC-..._expid=6dbcbce4-0b3b-4e36-9aa9-9f7d59f843dd-0

I am not sure which current I should use though.

Last edited:
For the holders you can go pretty much anything you want as long as you can make the desired battery configuration, it just depends on how you are going to arrange them inside your portable. If you order them make sure that the power cables are thick enough if not change them.

For the charger given the charging board input voltage a regular 12V adapter would be ok (so you skip some weird voltage adapters) and for current I think that 3A are enough for a charge and play solution. I'm not too sure about that last one but somebody else will correct me if I'm wrong.