Discussion WiiHUD PowerMii interest check

ToddyHD

I'd definitely be interested in one of these as well!
Will these be available through the store once finished or direct purchase through Aurelio?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I'd definitely be interested in one of these as well!
Will these be available through the store once finished or direct purchase through Aurelio?
This is yet to be defined. I probably have to modify the design slightly to compensate the lack of regulators from TI, then I will first start ordering the batch of boards for the people who helped me buying the latest prototypes.

Hello fellow BitBuilt users,
I am not sure whether this is the right thread for this (I'll delete it if it isn't) but I have a question kind of related.
NOOB ALERT:
Would it be easier to use a 6-layer board and custom reg with TIs (but relocation of Bluetooth easier) or a 4-layer with PowerMii, but the Bluetooth relocation a bit iffy?

P.S. Literally just created an account to ask this, so sorry if I'm lost

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
If you're worried about relocating Bluetooth then you definitely shouldn't drop $100+ on a board that requires very fine and precise wiring. Aurelio clearly statedsthat this is not a noob friendly board. A separate thread would have been a better place to ask this in as well.

If you're worried about relocating Bluetooth then you definitely shouldn't drop $100+ on a board that requires very fine and precise wiring. Aurelio clearly statedsthat this is not a noob friendly board. A separate thread would have been a better place to ask this in as well.
Ok Thank You. It's just that this looks like a heveanly piece of work and I wanted to try it, but you are probably right lol.

Portables
DISCLAIMER: This is designed for and works only with portables using 4 layers Wii motherboards. The additional power draw needed by the 6 layers Wiis is too much with respect to what the board can provide.

Hello everyone. I've been working for the past few weeks on the final design of the PowerMii board. This board has been designed to work with WiiHUD.
This is a list of the features:
  • Provides all the voltage needed to power a portable Wii, including 1.8V, removing the need of keeping the on-board LDO regulator;
  • Provides battery charging with proper charge&play with a single power jack;
  • Included battery protection circuit;
  • On-board battery monitoring. This means having the possibility to show on screen (thanks to WiiHUD) the battery percentage, a low battery alert and other stuff such as the remaining time to full charge/discharge;
  • Upgradeable firmware by simply using a custom homebrew on the Wii itself;
  • ~ 34mm x 28mm board size.
The board is still in a development process and few things might change after testing this design, but I'd say that this is a pretty good release candidate. Also the public release for this board won't happen for few months, probably not before October.
The price for each board is yet to be defined, but it's probably going to be around $90.

That being said I'd like to know your interest in getting this board, so if you want fill this spreadsheet with your name and the amount of boards you want to get. Ideally at the beginning I would probably keep it limited to a couple of pieces per user.
DISCLAIMER: This is designed for and works only with portables using 4 layers Wii motherboards. The additional power draw needed by the 6 layers Wiis is too much with respect to what the board can provide.

Hello everyone. I've been working for the past few weeks on the final design of the PowerMii board. This board has been designed to work with WiiHUD.
This is a list of the features:
  • Provides all the voltage needed to power a portable Wii, including 1.8V, removing the need of keeping the on-board LDO regulator;
  • Provides battery charging with proper charge&play with a single power jack;
  • Included battery protection circuit;
  • On-board battery monitoring. This means having the possibility to show on screen (thanks to WiiHUD) the battery percentage, a low battery alert and other stuff such as the remaining time to full charge/discharge;
  • Upgradeable firmware by simply using a custom homebrew on the Wii itself;
  • ~ 34mm x 28mm board size.
The board is still in a development process and few things might change after testing this design, but I'd say that this is a pretty good release candidate. Also the public release for this board won't happen for few months, probably not before October.
The price for each board is yet to be defined, but it's probably going to be around $90.

That being said I'd like to know your interest in getting this board, so if you want fill this spreadsheet with your name and the amount of boards you want to get. Ideally at the beginning I would probably keep it limited to a couple of pieces per user.
I am interested in this

trewi5

Hey! First time poster here! I'm trying to build my first portable.
Could you provide me with the gerber file and the according part list?
Thanks

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Aurelio has said that he will eventually open source this project, but as of yet he has not done the testing that he needs to in order to make sure PowerMii works as it should. They board files and parts list would also be pretty useless without the software needed to make the board function properly.

Also, this is a super difficult board to assemble. Even Aurelio had issues assembling the board by hand and ended up getting the first prototype from a manufacturer instead.

trewi5

Thanks a lot for the answer!
Gonna need to wait for the next batch then.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Aurelio has said that he will eventually open source this project, but as of yet he has not done the testing that he needs to in order to make sure PowerMii works as it should. They board files and parts list would also be pretty useless without the software needed to make the board function properly.

Also, this is a super difficult board to assemble. Even Aurelio had issues assembling the board by hand and ended up getting the first prototype from a manufacturer instead.