Question Component video scrambled - Composite works fine - issue?

Ocelo

Hello Wii community,

I have my original Wii that was using original Wii Component cables in 480p for many years. About a year ago, my screen started to flicker on startup occasionally, with the menu graphics slightly distorted. I figured it was nothing or a loose cable. It got worse. Now when I startup the Wii, the startup screen and menu screen are a distorted, scrambled mess, but _initially_ for a brief second, I see the black and white startup screen with the "Press A Button" clearly before it distorts.

It's gets weirder. If you leave the Wii on, the distortion clears up more and more until it's completely normal after about 5 minutes. As if the unit is heating up and then when it's "warm", the problem disappears completely. When I use the composite cable, there is no issue at all, it just looks like a lousy composite image in 480i.

Here's some of the troubleshooting I have done:
-Placed RF bands around both ends of the component cable.
-Tried a 3rd party component cable.
-Replaced the power supply with a new one from Amazon.
-Taken the Wii apart and thoroughly cleaned it.

I have also tried my PS2 with component cables in both jacks on the same TV and it comes up just fine, so I don't think it's the TV.

None of these steps have resolved the issue. I asked the Nintendo help forums and there was another person with the same issue but no response from Nintendo. I love my Wii for all of my Virtual Console games which you can no longer get and the ability to play GameCube games. I'd hate to give it up.

Help!

Thoughts?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Interesting. Im not sure, but here's what I'm thinking. The flow of video is gpu->ave->passives->port. If it's a problem with the passives, it would be ones on the Y line, as the colors are in tact. If the GPU is failing you are screwed and you should back up and transfer your stuff to a new Wii with homebrew. If I were guessing though I would say your AVE is going out. If nothing else, I'd be willing to have you ship me the board and try doing an AVE transplant for you. I wonder if @Aurelio knows what might be causing this.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Interesting. Im not sure, but here's what I'm thinking. The flow of video is gpu->ave->passives->port. If it's a problem with the passives, it would be ones on the Y line, as the colors are in tact. If the GPU is failing you are screwed and you should back up and transfer your stuff to a new Wii with homebrew. If I were guessing though I would say your AVE is going out. If nothing else, I'd be willing to have you ship me the board and try doing an AVE transplant for you. I wonder if @Aurelio knows what might be causing this.
I doubt it's an issue with the GPU, otherwise composite wouldn't look good. For the same reason I don't think it's the AVE to be broken.
Imo the electrolytic caps on the video lines are fucked. I would start by replacing those

Ocelo

That's sounds like a good start for the culprit here. I don't have capacitors to replace this with. Are they readily available? I can probably manage the repair, but I haven't worked on a board of newer vintage like this before. Would a standard soldiering iron do the job ok? Do you have a recommendation for a more appropriate tool? Thank you!

Ocelo

I swapped the composite capacitor with the Y line capacitor and it gave the same result. Could it be another capacitor other than the Y line?

Ocelo

Another question. I have a spare Wii mainboard that I got online. It's a 4 layer board and my original board is a 6 layer. Would it be possible to transplant the 6-layer AVE to the 4-layer board? My original idea was to transplant the capacitors which looks like it might be possible.

Also, would it be possible to just transplant the memory/OS chips and data to the new 6-layer board and have it function? Just a thought.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Another question. I have a spare Wii mainboard that I got online. It's a 4 layer board and my original board is a 6 layer. Would it be possible to transplant the 6-layer AVE to the 4-layer board? My original idea was to transplant the capacitors which looks like it might be possible.

Also, would it be possible to just transplant the memory/OS chips and data to the new 6-layer board and have it function? Just a thought.
You can transplant the AVE, but not the NAND memory