Worklog Wii Laptop or Portable

I've yet to decide on building a laptop or handheld since the rate of new options just keep growing so at the moment I'm looking for a 4-layer Wii locally since I can inspect it myself. I have a modded 6-layer as a test bench for thermal solutions and any future add ons. I've been around for awhile searching and learning before I really want to attempt this but praise the sun hoping it'll been fine in the end.

Display
I haven't found a display yet since I recently found a new mod after running across it one day:
https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-kit-installation-service-1.html
I wanted to do hdmi converter like I have seen other people use but I was afraid of latency (and waste of money). The Wii Dual on the other hand is like the UltraHDMI mod for the N64 and offers the multi-out as a second output if I want to make that an external out. He also mentioned the forum so I'm assuming he's on here (Big thank you for building such a thing). If there are other solutions for hdmi or clear picture then I'm all ears.

Power
From a recycled project from my Gamecube I have remaining 2x 3.7v 5Ah LiPo cells which should be plenty but I saw @Aurelio had the WiiHUD PowerMii and Lite which definitely caught me. I've been stuck here for a bit since I know the info is here for the PTH regulators, it urks me when I have trouble finding the resistors I need for that. Luckily I'm in no hurry to get through this area, so if I find what I need or he himself puts out the WiiHUD I'll go along with it.

Controls (if handheld)
I have a GC+ already from a year ago when I first had build going but I definitely needed to do more reading before I dove in unknowingly blind. The plan was PS Vita Analogs and so far I'm sticking to that since with real 3DS sliders was easily worn from hours (like 100s) of gameplay which I didn't want deal with. I've seen the switch analogs but I need to look into that longer.

Case
I'm going to 3d print the case with this design in mind:

A horizontally long body makes sense for ergonomics when you think of the shoulder buttons & Z. I did consider a shape similar to the OG Gameboy with a protruding back but in any way " I " design it, I know it be fragile like wet paper. By no means I'm trying to replicate this exact size! This shape just interests me the most and I can find parts for the hinges. If my mind changes I will put an update about it but that will be waaaay down the road.

If you got this far THANKS!
I will keep this updated as I work through it, this will be somewhat on and off. I'm happy to hear what your suggestions are if there's something that's better suited. I'm scrolling through the forum a lot so hopefully i get the answers I need so don't bash me so hard about it.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I like the idea, but clamshell portables are a shitton of work. I hope you know what you're getting into, good luck my dude.

Thanks, yeah after looking at the hinges alone and other people's cases I knew it wasn't going to be a easy.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Display
I haven't found a display yet since I recently found a new mod after running across it one day:
https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-kit-installation-service-1.html
Citrus's board is damn good, but the board design its in is not suitable at all for portables. I would go with Aurelio's VGA patch, as that will give you native vga at no cost and much less hassle. VGA is the most popular option for portables, as it gives you access to a huge variety of screens, with only a few wires to run.

Power
@Aurelio had the WiiHUD PowerMii and Lite which definitely caught me.
From what I understand, the PowerMii release is still a ways off, so I would stick with PTH regs for projects in the near future.

Controls (if handheld)
The plan was PS Vita Analogs and so far I'm sticking to that since with real 3DS sliders was easily worn from hours (like 100s) of gameplay which I didn't want deal with. I've seen the switch analogs but I need to look into that longer.
If its between switch joysticks or PS vita, go switch all the way. Ginger wrote a sweet guide on how to use them

Case
I'm going to 3d print the case with this design in mind:
Clamshells are tough. They are doable, but they are certainly more work.

Looking forward to this project! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks @Shank ! I didn't know VGA required only so few cables! Now I'm interested for that. There was also Noah's power board too, I was going to PM him about it. If I can, I want to decrease the amount of space ( like other builders on here), also if you have a reliable source for resistors I'd appreciate it.

Update:
Finally sourced a Wii based on our revision diagram (OG black Wii), so now I can finally get a build going. The case design is also taking an interesting turn, once I create the model I'll put it up.

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
Excited to see how it turns out. Clamshells look cool, but like everyone said, they are a pain! But that just means it will be that much sweeter when you're done if you decide to do it!

So I got a thing here now, doing some test prints and size wise I don't have too much room to work with in terms of the case but bright side I didn't get much done on the design in fusion 360.

Ideally it'll be clamshell, just working out what's comfortable to play on within the constraints of the printer and include the joycon analog.
To those who've already printed a case what materials did you use? I was debating PLA but I'm not sure if it can handle heat and wear as well, my house isn't the best to print ABS since it'll rapidly cool too much...maybe. Or a different material if you think it'll suffice.

I don't have much free time but I'm at least thinking of how I'm laying out the components. Right now I'm printing out a project box the dimensions I think should work.

The idea right now is to have:
Fully 3D printed case (Trying PLA for now)
Polycarbonate sheet (asthetics and minimal screen protection
7 inch screen (provided from @Gman 's BOM)
dual 3ds sliders (REEALLY did want to use the switch analog but I'll just deal with it)
switch face buttons (provided by @Madmorda Thank you!)
2s lipo 5Ah (from batteryspace)
Lenovo yoga 2 fan & heatsink (Thanks @Predue89 for the idea, did try to find an alternative before deciding on this)
GC+ V1

I probably need to make a bracket for this thing if I'm going to use thermal paste, I'm sketched out with the adhesive of thermal pads. I do want to toss this portable into a bag and not worry about it.

Don't be alarmed when you see the Lipos, they're not going to be used once I'm finished. Those specific ones are old and are just going to test after trimming.