Question OG Xbox wireless controller mod

I'm interested in converting the original wired "S" controller into a wireless controller using the guts of an off brand wireless controller like a Logitech. To anyone's knowledge has this been done before or at least something similar?

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
Not off the top of my head, but is this your first project? If it is I would recommend a mod that is slightly easier because this would be a pretty intense project.

One method that comes to my mind is using some sort of microcontroller and a bluetooth module in the controller and in the dongle but even then you would need to write the code to do all the communicating and parsing button presses. It would definitely be a project that I would love to see!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
You could definitely do it. I have some experience rehousing and heavily modifying various controllers, and this project is definitely doable. You'd want to pick a wireless controller that is as similar to the s controller as you can. It won't be a perfect drop in, but it'll be easier to work with if the pcb is relatively bare and similar to the housing. I recommend getting some magnet wire :)

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
Derp, I missed the 3rd part controller drop in part. Go with what Madmorda said, that's definitely your best bet. You could also find the pinouts for the buttons on the controller and where they connect to on the main IC on the board, trim the 3rd party board, then wire it up to a first party controller. TMK there should be room in the s type controller if you also trim that board down a wee bit.