Question Advice on Wii Portable

MJD

So my plan to start out in learning this stuff is to pretty much take the disk drive out of a wii and everything else that isn't needed, and just add in probably a 7 inch screen to the side as well as speakers, a sensor bar, and batteries.
In order to accomplish this I don't believe I need to trim the motherboard, it may just be easier not to especially because I have the original Wii model with the 6 layer board. Does this seem feasible? Or would you have to trim to get the custom regulators in order to wire the screen up?
(P.S. any other advice you can think of is very much appreciated :D)

Portables
You don't need to trim any parts of the board in order to wire the screen up. The most you'd want to do is take the ports off or account for them in your case design. I'd recommend reading a ton, including the basic electronics resources. Having a general understanding of electronics will serve you well on this.

Next, you definitely want a solid plan before buying things. Research all of the parts, and consider what you want in your portable. Wiis are like 20 bucks each nowadays, so buying a 4 layer wouldn't be much of a hit to you relative to the costs of the other components.

The last thing I'll say is that if you have a certain budget in mind, throw it away. The most important rule around here (imo) is to not compromise on the quality of the parts for cost. I would highly recommend using the suggested parts in the BOM for your components.

If you're gonna go for it: Have fun, do your research, and use the search bar. If you're having an issue, I almost guarantee someone else on this forum has had it too.

MJD

You don't need to trim any parts of the board in order to wire the screen up. The most you'd want to do is take the ports off or account for them in your case design. I'd recommend reading a ton, including the basic electronics resources. Having a general understanding of electronics will serve you well on this.

Next, you definitely want a solid plan before buying things. Research all of the parts, and consider what you want in your portable. Wiis are like 20 bucks each nowadays, so buying a 4 layer wouldn't be much of a hit to you relative to the costs of the other components.

The last thing I'll say is that if you have a certain budget in mind, throw it away. The most important rule around here (imo) is to not compromise on the quality of the parts for cost. I would highly recommend using the suggested parts in the BOM for your components.

If you're gonna go for it: Have fun, do your research, and use the search bar. If you're having an issue, I almost guarantee someone else on this forum has had it too.
Thanks for the help! One question I had that I couldn't find the answer to was do you need to use custom regulators to use batteries, since that seems to be what everyone else does anyway since they go for the full on trimming.