Question DIY WaveBird Reciever?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
It sounds feasible, but I wouldn't know. It would be hella cool too. I'd love to throw wavebird recievers in my portables without having to gut a real receiver. If you (or someone else) pulled it off that would be extremely cool.

honestly, if someone had the skill and time to nut out a wavebird receiver, they'd be better off doing a Bluetooth receiver.
The Wii already has bluetooth, which nintendon't can use to interface with Bluetooth controllers, so that would be kind of pointless. Besides, all Bluetooth controllers are 3rd party, and 3rd party GameCube controllers are notorious for being complete garbage.

Why not work with two Arduino pro mini and a GC+? The Arduino is very cheap and the transceiver for them, too.
Arduino
Transceiver

I found some software for this, unfortunately I haven't had the time to test everything. I have all the nessesary hardware though (because I wanted to build one module in my littleBIG Boy).
NicoHood

But maybe this doesn't work at all... Who knows? ;)

I was considering reading the input with my Arduino UNO to prototype since the transceiver i was going to use has SPI capability. Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot smaller Arduinos existed.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The original receiver for the wavebird can only, as it's name suggests, receive data. They didn't put a transmitter in it, and another receiver in the wavebird for cost reasons. That's why the original doesn't have rumble. However, you should probably do your own transmitter and receiver, like @Predue89 suggested, or I've also mentioned a little while ago.