Worklog Sneak Preview of my second portable

BocuD

Portables
is this made by Shapeways or something? That finish looks so professional 0_0

I'm not done yet, but there will be many more photos when I finish. Although the all white looks kinda sexy in this picture, it gets dirty way too easily, so I'll be painting it the colors from my 3D modeling screenshot.

Wow. How did you get that smooth finish?
Shapeways printed it out for me. I want this thing to look as legit as possible.

Oof. So many good portables this year. Are those buttons / sliders 3d printed?
Yep, all the everything is 3D printed. A bit of a pain, but easy to reproduce over and over again, and not have to worry about any stock drying up.

is this made by Shapeways or something? That finish looks so professional 0_0
Yeah, Shapeways printed it out for me. Kinda expensive I know, but totally worth it. Can't get those details on my home FDM printer.

I'll give you $300 for it.
$300 for what? What you see in the picture? The shell and buttons? A fully completed thinger? I'll keep it in mind, once I'm done with this, I fully intend to make and sell these. Might even do it as a kit or something. Since the only real work one would need to do is trim a Wii and drop it in. The next big step, and what the hold up is now is including regulators into my custom PCB. It was super easy to throw @Aurelio's GC+ and @JacksonS's audio amp together. But crafting my own circuits from scratch isn't something I fully understand yet.

BocuD

Portables
Ok damn if shapeways can look that good, i’m never using fdm for a case again lol. I spent like 5 hours sanding yesterday and it still only looks about half as good as that.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
$300 for what? What you see in the picture? The shell and buttons? A fully completed thinger? I'll keep it in mind, once I'm done with this, I fully intend to make and sell these. Might even do it as a kit or something. Since the only real work one would need to do is trim a Wii and drop it in. The next big step, and what the hold up is now is including regulators into my custom PCB. It was super easy to throw @Aurelio's GC+ and @JacksonS's audio amp together. But crafting my own circuits from scratch isn't something I fully understand yet.
It's a meme, People who don't know the work that goes into it, offer extremely low prices, because "A wii only costs $10 on ebay, and I can provide my own wii" Hope that makes sense.

I got mine through shapeways it's a poly nylon material plastic and they form it using laser sintering layer by layer with a powder. It's really durable and the texture is awesome

It's a meme, People who don't know the work that goes into it, offer extremely low prices, because "A wii only costs $10 on ebay, and I can provide my own wii" Hope that makes sense.
Aye, gotcha. Went right over my head then. Thanks for educating me, I appreciate it.

The amp works! Thanks @JacksonS The custom controller works! Thanks to the invention and sharing of the GC+ Love you @Aurelio And the Regulators work! Thanks @Stitches for pointing me toward the TLV62130.
On my next revision, I intend to include 1 port battery charging while playing. Couldn't figure out what chip was best, or how to figure out how to build the circuit for the one I had my eye on. So, I'm gonna use one of those red boards for this one.
IMG_20180924_081806928.jpg

Attachments

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
The amp works! Thanks @JacksonS The custom controller works! Thanks to the invention and sharing of the GC+ Love you @Aurelio And the Regulators work! Thanks @Stitches for pointing me toward the TLV62130.
On my next revision, I intend to include 1 port battery charging while playing. Couldn't figure out what chip was best, or how to figure out how to build the circuit for the one I had my eye on. So, I'm gonna use one of those red boards for this one.View attachment 7385
Loving how integrated portables are becoming. Looks great!

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
It looks sooooooo gooooood! Can't wait to see the final paint job!

Man, this is an awesome job you are doing there o.O
Keep this up! I love to see where this goes.;)

IMG_20181220_153545412.jpg
Done. Sort of. I still need to (learn how to) paint it, and cast these buttons.

The little tits sticking out of the hinges will be flush after it's painted. I still need to disassemble it to paint it, and I fear if I push those all the way in now, I'll never get them out.

Attachments

Last edited: