Discussion Wii custom motherboard PCB

Is this possible?

• Total voters

ruumoo

I started my Portable Wii project about a year ago and managed to do the OMGWTF-trim successfully, but I never finished the project. Now I was thinking of reviving the project and today on the bus, I got to think
, if it could be possible to design a custom motherboard and transplant the neccesary chips on to it and push Wii modding to the next level.
I know this idea is crazy and I have never tried BGA soldering, but I think this could be possible, especially with the compedium as a source.
Using the compendium and the OMGWTF trim plans it should be possible to recreate all the necessary parts of the motherboard and the add all the external components, like voltage regulation and all the necessary connectors.
What's your oppinion on this,
am I compleatly crazy or do you think this is possible?

Edit 1: it might even be possible to use a bga socket like one of these
http://www.directindustry.com/industrial-manufacturer/bga-socket-91407.html

Last edited:

ABH

It is possible but very difficult
No schematic and informations
so you need to reverse engineering the board from scratch..

ruumoo

It is possible but very difficult
No schematic and informations
so you need to reverse engineering the board from scratch..
That was the plan. I just found the NanoWii project by bentomo on Github. He essentially tried the same thing but hasn't posted in over 2years. Maybe i can take some of the work he has already done.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Aurelio has been working on this for a while, it's a lot of impedance matched traces. It's a LOT harder than you think, but go ahead and try.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
How far didi you get so far? My first idea would be to basically recreate the omgwtf board 1:1 only with usable pinheaders
The design is done. I need to order the board, but I want to add a couple of things to it first