Question How to use 3DS sliders?

splain

There seems to be a "best" way (or at least a "community best practice") for just about every technical/non-aesthetic aspect of building a portable console. But something I haven't managed to glean from reading worklogs is the best way to use a 3DS slider on, say, an N64 portable. From what I gather, the slider data has to go through some processing before it's accurate enough to satisfy an N64 veteran. Obviously there's no easy off-the-shelf solution, and it seems like the pieces necessary to do the fix are hard to find/make/configure. But still, is there a "common" way to use a 3DS slider and how is it done?

I am also interested in how to use a slider but it pertains to adding a tact under it similar to modern gamepads (switch). My goal is an ultra slim switch joycon using the 3ds sliders in place of sticks. For reasons of stubborn personal choice I'd like to keep it functioning in this way and, if at all possible, avoid the obvious option of adding a new button nearby. Has anyone done this before, is there a slider already out there (does the psp slider click?)

Edited spelling

Last edited:
Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
the problem with 3ds sliders, is that the dead zone is different from regular analog pots, so people usually use a micro controller, to fix this, RDC had a board to do this, @JacksonS also did this in his WII sp II. The GC+ configures the deadzones via software, so nothing else is needed.

also @moonDoctor the Nintendo switch joycons are thinner than 3ds sliders, though I have thought about adding a tact to 3ds sliders, I had a theoretical solution, but never tried it.

the Nintendo switch joycons are thinner than 3ds sliders, though I have thought about adding a tact to 3ds sliders, I had a theoretical solution, but never tried it.
to clarify, i hadn't intended to alter anything about the joycon besides the slider swap but i also haven't measured the parts either. This idea came to me a few weeks ago and that's as far as I've taken it because of this issue described.
Sorry Splain, not trying to hijack your thread. I'll pick this back up later once I'm closer to actually doing something about it.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
to clarify, i hadn't intended to alter anything about the joycon besides the slider swap but i also haven't measured the parts either. This idea came to me a few weeks ago and that's as far as I've taken it because of this issue described
Yeah the base of the Nintendo Switch joystick is a bit thinner than the base of a 3ds slider.
I can check tonight with my caliper if yeh want 'exact' measurements