Question Idea for portable(ish)

I wanna make a Wii portable laptop style with a omgwtf trim, no onboard controls, all GameCube ports, and a decent size screen,and run off batteries/charger
What is the best way to make the laptop case design?
I'm not sure as to how to start the case, like the hinges etc.

Note if someone is confused I'm asking about help for case design not the portable itself ( at least not yet)
Also if someone asks this
I don't have access to 3D printer
I might Frankencase it
It's kinda fun doing that

Try using the case from a 7" portable DVD Player. They will usually fit even an untrimmed Wii with a little frankencasing but I think that an OMGWTF trim will fit nicely in the DVD reading mechanism in the DVD Player

So I got this screen

IMG_1445.JPG

Along with this board

IMG_1444.JPG

How do I make it to run off of lower voltage
It's runs off 12v

Been looking for the regulators and so far no luck on the board, I literally need to take of my glasses to try and read each chip (literal headaches have been made) so I look for the regulators later.

Since the board as hdmi and vga which would be more suitable to use?
I have a wii2hdmi but I've seen other posts saying that it's not really reliable.
So what would be better option?

Been looking for the regulators and so far no luck on the board, I literally need to take of my glasses to try and read each chip (literal headaches have been made) so I look for the regulators later.

Since the board as hdmi and vga which would be more suitable to use?
I have a wii2hdmi but I've seen other posts saying that it's not really reliable.
So what would be better option?
Native VGA! https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/wii-native-vga-version-1-2.2176/

How do I select 480p on the Wii for vga?

Last edited:
Ok so I'm on vacation right now but I am still gonna do my Wii laptop
So my idea was to have some sort of design cut out in the middle preferably above the Wii fan sink but I want to make it look better when the laptop is on. I want to use some leds to light of the middle and smoothly transition into multiple colors.
How would I do that? Would I need multiple leds and resistors? Some sort of chip? I honestly have to real clue on how to physically do it, it was just an idea I really want integrated in my portable.

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
Someone correct me if I am wrong but you would need:

1. Some sort of micro controller (arduino pro mini would do nicely)
2. Addressable RGB LED lights
3. a program flashed to the arduino pro mini to cycle through the colors

It would be a fun beginner project for getting into microcontrollers and programming, I would recommend it!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Alternatively if all you want is rotating LED colors and you don't care about controlling the colors you can use these: https://www.amazon.com/microtivity-IL604-Slow-Rotating-Resistors-Pack/dp/B007RO9X82/

I've used them before, they look like this https://photos.app.goo.gl/cQAKHbXgcqTUNhi68
Yeah I don't want to control them so this would do
But I want them all to alternate colors at the same time tho when the Wii is turned on
Does it always reset to a certain color when it's turned on or will it just be random
And how much voltage needed to have them on?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Yeah I don't want to control them so this would do
But I want them all to alternate colors at the same time tho when the Wii is turned on
Does it always reset to a certain color when it's turned on or will it just be random
And how much voltage needed to have them on?
Based on the description and answered questions I'd say the voltage required is 3v-3.6v and they may or may not start the same, but they will get out of sync even if they start the same

If you want it all to be one color you can try diffusing it and spreading the color with light pipes

I was wondering if I could use a screen from an android tablet for a portable?

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
Cannot, to my knowledge they mostly are SPI or I2C driven meaning that they use code to drive the screen's image. You will need a composite/RGB/vga screen with a driver board in order for it to work with your portable.

It depends on what screen it is, sometimes you can get a driver bard for it... sometimes not, you need to look around on the internet to be really sure

Cannot, to my knowledge they mostly are SPI or I2C driven meaning that they use code to drive the screen's image. You will need a composite/RGB/vga screen with a driver board in order for it to work with your portable.
As I said it depends on the screen usually SPI an I2C are used on other electronics where good resolution and refresh rate aren´t a must
The "common" thing on displays for tablets and laptops is LVDS, sometimes TTL RGBHV and rarely (mostly on phones) some kind of MIPI interface

I´m just saying that is possible but you need to be really sure (if it is a tablet you have lying around broken or something you could search its datasheet, if you are planning on buying an old tablet just for that, just don´t do it, it´s like flipping a coin)

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
It depends on what screen it is, sometimes you can get a driver bard for it... sometimes not, you need to look around on the internet to be really sure

As I said it depends on the screen usually SPI an I2C are used on other electronics where good resolution and refresh rate aren´t a must
The "common" thing on displays for tablets and laptops is LVDS, sometimes TTL RGBHV and rarely (mostly on phones) some kind of MIPI interface

I´m just saying that is possible but you need to be really sure (if it is a tablet you have lying around broken or something you could search its datasheet, if you are planning on buying an old tablet just for that, just don´t do it, it´s like flipping a coin)
Great info, thanks person who is clearly not Johnny!
POWER.gif

nobble

I heard psone screens don't need drivers. There's also plenty of cheap LCDs online. Also, why trim the wii board if you are making a laptop? You should have space in the casing without doing so.