Discussion Batteries

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Smart charger I believe. I actually just checked last night while trying to fix my slider, I'm getting around 8v so almost fully charged. But when I boot the system on battery power it drops to about 6v the system boots but the screen is distorted. And then shortly cuts off
I'd try using a regular dumb 12v supply from another device, it's possible that your smart charger doesn't like the red board.

I guess it's not a smart charger the voltages seem fine on the board but when I turn on power the battery load drops to around 6v

With the CMB listed in the guide for batteries, from my understanding I don't need a protection circuit? I'm thinking of buying the 4s CMB and using 4 7.4 clusters of the Panasonic batteries from the BOM. Also is my understanding that the Panasonic batteries in the bom are a total of 3400 for all 4 batteries ?

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
With the CMB listed in the guide for batteries, from my understanding I don't need a protection circuit? I'm thinking of buying the 4s CMB and using 4 7.4 clusters of the Panasonic batteries from the BOM. Also is my understanding that the Panasonic batteries in the bom are a total of 3400 for all 4 batteries ?
I think you are confused. If you are using a 7.4v pack that's 2S. You are correct that the CMB handles the protection of the batteries. You can connect as many parallel sequences of 2s battery packs to the board. Each battery is 3.7v 3400mAh. If you connect in series you double the voltage, if you connect in parallel (with the same amount in series) then you double the capacity.

I think you are confused. If you are using a 7.4v pack that's 2S. You are correct that the CMB handles the protection of the batteries. You can connect as many parallel sequences of 2s battery packs to the board. Each battery is 3.7v 3400mAh. If you connect in series you double the voltage, if you connect in parallel (with the same amount in series) then you double the capacity.
Ty very much yes it seems I was confused. I wanted same volts more mah. So two batteries attached to the board will give me 7.4 volts and 3400mah per battery so 6800mah? Then if I want more capacity I hook more up in parallel

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Ty very much yes it seems I was confused. I wanted same volts more mah. So two batteries attached to the board will give me 7.4 volts and 3400mah per battery so 6800mah? Then if I want more capacity I hook more up in parallel
Two batteries in series will give you 7.4v, if you want more capacity you would have to add another set of 2 cells (in series) in parallel. So if you want 7.4v 6800mAh you need 4 cells.

Pacal

Portables
RDP 64
I don’t think the red board likes smart charges I tried using one and didn’t work so now I’m using a regular 12v charger and it works really good,I haven’t have any problem at all.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I don’t think the red board likes smart charges I tried using one and didn’t work so now I’m using a regular 12v charger and it works really good,I haven’t have any problem at all.
I had the same struggle, just a standard 12v DC wall supply is all you need.

BocuD

Portables
I believe a generic GC supply would work too? Now if only one could safely power off a car battery. :rothink:
As long as you don't short the terminals...

Hi, new here. How many batteries for an average trimmed Wii and in what configuration do you recommend? Sorry if im a noob.