Worklog EWHIZZ 1st Wii port

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Yea you'll need to load-test them, as the voltage will drop under load, so your 3.3/1.15v might be fine then, but 1&5v might be too low!

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
When looking at any sort of flash memory, look at the price. If the price is too good to be true, it most likely is.

Ewhizz

Hi guys,
What is the recommended wire to connect via YPbPr from wii mobo to Eyoyo screen driver board?

BocuD

Portables
Hi guys,
What is the recommended wire to connect via YPbPr from wii mobo to Eyoyo screen driver board?
There isn't really 'recommended' wire, but its definitely better to go with some form of shielded wire like what is used for the wii wifi antennas. I used those, and barely get interference so I guess they're pretty good.

Ewhizz

Does a USB need to be wired up to test if the omgwtf trim worked ?
Thanks

Ewhizz

I've tried setting up the USB , tried soldering USB data lines to Cm1 but I believe I've torn away the traces can I use cm2 instead?
Thanks

Ewhizz

I'm guessing they are the little solder pads with holes through them ?

Ewhizz

Upon testing my trim I am getting no signal on my eyoyo screen (vga) .
My voltages are all within +-0.05v.
Below I've attached photos of how I've connected the screen. How do I go about troubleshooting this ? USB has been hooked up.

Thanks

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
It looks like you only have three wires there, are you trying for component video? Also is that green wore your ground wire to the Wii? If so, it's way too thin, youll want some 22 gauge for it.

Ewhizz

Okay what does short mode to 3.3 mean? And yes the green is connecting my usb to ground. okay I've just realised it should have been put in YPbPr mode. Once this is done should I retest?

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Okay what does short mode to 3.3 mean? And yes the green is connecting my usb to ground. okay I've just realised it should have been put in YPbPr mode. Once this is done should I retest?
Mode is also a Via, that changes the AVE output from RGB to component when shorted to 3.3v. See trimming guide.

Do you try to test a trim, using an untested video? Basically what you want to do, is eliminate as much variables as possbile!
So personally i would just use composite, cause it's easy & much more unlikely to fail. Then use a screen, from that you know that it's working (with composite). Also forget about USB for the first test(s), too. just solder the reset via to gnd & priiloader will bootup.

plz show some pics of your regulators & wiring. (And please use the forums upload). The wires you used (for the power) might be a little small/long, too. Plus, you shoudn't need hotglue on those soldering spots.

Ewhizz

Hi all,
I have bought a video switch to allow for video out via YPbPr to a wii2hdmi converter. I am also using YPbPr to connect to my Eyoyo screen, just wondering if anyone could help me understand the wiring diagram ( attached below link is: https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX4887.pdf)

From my understanding I will wire from pins 7, 9, 11 (Y, Pb, Pr) from the wii's motherboard to pins R0, G0 , B0 of the video switch, and then R1, G1 , B1 would go to the Eyoyo screen and R2, G2 , B2 would go to the wii2HDMI adapter. Just unsure if this is correct? What the 75 ohm resistors are doing and where to provide the 3.3v signal to to activate the 'switch'. Lastly I will be transmitting YPbPr signal through a USB C to a dock which will house the wii2hdmi adaptor would this be problematic due to the need for shielding?

Here is the diagram, thanks :)

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Yes you're correct about where the inputs and outputs are. The SEL pin controls which output is currently active. I suggest you look at what a multiplexer is if you want to understand better. I think you need to really think about this though. The package for this chip is QFN which is not easy to solder. You will almost certainly need to design a custom PCB to house the chip and use a hot air station to solder this. Also USB C is very difficult to solder as well and will also require housing on a custom PCB. Personally the easiest way to do video out is to use internal VGA/component on your portable and then have composite out, and just using a switch to toggle the MODE pin to determine which one is active.