Worklog EWHIZZ 1st Wii port

Ewhizz

Hi guys,
I've got all my parts and started to trim and test my Wii portable. Ill be using a 5 inch eyoyo screen and 2s2p 18650 setup. I have trimmed my Wii and begun to wire up my regulators. I have followed the regulator guide but am wondering if I have wired the output cap correctly? I have the +ve leg of the output cap going into the middle terminal of the reg (just like the input reg). Also does my trim looked smooth enough have used some 600 grit Sand paper.
Thanks

Last edited:

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
You should remove the severed components like C47. Also which grid did you use for sanding? Keep sanding it with >=800 grid, until everything is nice & smooth. After that clean everything nicely.

On the regulators, the negative leg of the lower right capacitor scares me, looks like it might short:
regulator.jpg

Also: Poor little BT-Board :'(

Am I the only person who can never see Ewhizz's pictures? Hey Ewhizz, how are you uploading your pictures? I would love to help with your questions, but I cannot view the pictures for some reason.

Ewhizz

My Eyoyo screen arrived.
Just wondering how to take it apart though ? Have removed all the screws and want to take the metal casing off without damaging anything but doesn't want to come apart.
Thanks

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
If I remember correctly, it just takes a bit of oomph to get the casing off, there's not really any trick to it.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
My Eyoyo screen arrived.
Just wondering how to take it apart though ? Have removed all the screws and want to take the metal casing off without damaging anything but doesn't want to come apart.
Thanks

The easiest way I found was to use the big BNC connector that sticks out to pull the casing open. Just be careful that you don't damage the LCD ribbon cable.

BocuD

Portables
Yep got it! Now to desolder all those bulky connections :/
When working on the connectors, be careful not to accidentally cut a trace. Ginger, me and I think Stitches as well damaged a certain trace while doing so. It might be easier to first Dremel off parts of the connector and screw things, and then desolder the parts that are left. This way you will need much less heat.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
When working on the connectors, be careful not to accidentally cut a trace. Ginger, me and I think Stitches as well damaged a certain trace while doing so. It might be easier to first Dremel off parts of the connector and screw things, and then desolder the parts that are left. This way you will need much less heat.
Yeah I nicked the trace for the controls and wasn't able to use the screen until I fixed it.

BocuD

Portables
I have access to a desoldering gun so i plan to use that
Still, even with the desoldering gun, believe me, its better to first Dremel off parts of the connector. Even a desoldering iron probably doesn't have enough heat so remove so much mass. A desoldering iron would work wonders on what's left of the connectors 'n stuff after dremeling though.

Ewhizz

Okay cool. I'm guessing you mean Dremel the solder lumps first right ?

BocuD

Portables
Okay cool. I'm guessing you mean Dremel the solder lumps first right ?
Nah, I meant Dremel off everything on those connectors more then 4ish mm above the board itself. So basically slice through them parallel to the board.

Ewhizz

Hi guys,
I have my regularors outputting :
1.042V for the 1v requirement
1.211V for the 1.15v requirement
3.55V for the 3.3v requirement
5.01V for the 5v requirement

Are these acceptable?

Waltz

I've read that as long as it's within +-0.05 it should be fine, but I'm not entirely sure myself since I haven't started my own project.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Hi guys,
I have my regularors outputting :
1.042V for the 1v requirement
1.211V for the 1.15v requirement
3.55V for the 3.3v requirement
5.01V for the 5v requirement

Are these acceptable?
Did you measure those under load? If so, 1 & 5V are looking good. 3.3v needs readjustment. I'm not sure about 1.15v, but personally i would try to lower that one just a little, too.

Ewhizz

No these weren't under load. Okay I will try to get these closer .