Worklog PS2WP

Portables
Loads of research later and here I am, totally going to miss the compo deadline but I've designed a PCB replacement for the PS2s onboard CXM4015AR graphics chip. This board is a development board which will allow me to test and further develop the scan doubler I'm building for the PS2 and once complete will feature everything required to simply replace the onboard IC with and get lovely, LCD friendly video.

daughter.png
cxm-replacement.png

The first image is the daughter board which is linked via an FPC cable to the board in place of the graphics chip. I hope to get these sent to the PCB fab soon so I can carry on with the VHDL dev work to bring us some high quality PS2 displays! The end goal here is to house the entire scan doubler on the 16.2mm X 16.2mm IC board. The Max 10 FPGA is the one I'll be using thanks to @Herma for that recommendation.

I'll have a couple versions available, all FPC cable based, 1 direct LVDS connection to the chip so no need for an LCD driver board at all, 1 VGA daughter board which will require an LCD driver board.

I'll be back with more news soon!

Ha!! That's actually amazing because I just finished making a riser of sorts for my CXM4015AR replacer, I love that we both decided on the same method for standardising the 24 bit RGB lines for development, and I love the way yours looks!! Does yours include the clock signal though?

d099532893041b9f038cebaeac6f3035.png

Mine is for an HDMI converter, so it also includes the I2s points

Portables
Yeah, all 3 clocks. H, V and pixel clock. Actually, Since posting I realized I missed the i2c lines on the daughter board.

What are those clocks in the right of the board?

Mine is a 100% replacement. Desolder the official one, plop this one in and off you go. Yours looks lovely, wish my traces we're that tidy haha. You using an FPGA?

Those 4 pads at the right are the I2s points for audio, and as for the I2c points (SDA SCL) on the CXM4015AR, I think those are just for factory configuring the chip for PS2 resolutions and such after it's been soldered to the motherboard, The PS2 actually uses a system wide I2c bus for this purpose.

Anyway this is the current design (far from the last) for my HDMI board, it uses the ADV7513

7f8ddd004a710c2917141c7f9df24404.png

Incidentally my design includes an FT200XD USB to I2c bridge chip for configuring the internal registers

Also how exactly does yours solder to the board?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Loads of research later and here I am, totally going to miss the compo deadline but I've designed a PCB replacement for the PS2s onboard CXM4015AR graphics chip. This board is a development board which will allow me to test and further develop the scan doubler I'm building for the PS2 and once complete will feature everything required to simply replace the onboard IC with and get lovely, LCD friendly video.

View attachment 6737 View attachment 6738

The first image is the daughter board which is linked via an FPC cable to the board in place of the graphics chip. I hope to get these sent to the PCB fab soon so I can carry on with the VHDL dev work to bring us some high quality PS2 displays! The end goal here is to house the entire scan doubler on the 16.2mm X 16.2mm IC board. The Max 10 FPGA is the one I'll be using thanks to @Herma for that recommendation.

I'll have a couple versions available, all FPC cable based, 1 direct LVDS connection to the chip so no need for an LCD driver board at all, 1 VGA daughter board which will require an LCD driver board.

I'll be back with more news soon!
Your through hole solder pads look awfully close

Portables
Those 4 pads at the right are the I2s points for audio, and as for the I2c points (SDA SCL) on the CXM4015AR, I think those are just for factory configuring the chip for PS2 resolutions and such after it's been soldered to the motherboard, The PS2 actually uses a system wide I2c bus for this purpose.

Anyway this is the current design (far from the last) for my HDMI board, it uses the ADV7513

View attachment 6748

Incidentally my design includes an FT200XD USB to I2c bridge chip for configuring the internal registers

Also how exactly does yours solder to the board?
@Gman correct me if I'm wrong but the digital RGB is 1.7v logic? The data sheet doesn't mention the minimum h/v sync either?

Another lovely looking board though. What info do you have on the i2c bus/registers?

Mine is basically a DIY BGA chip, going to get a flexible PCB for the board that goes where the CXM4 is (to help with alignment, thanks @Aurelio) so desolder the CXM4015AR and hot air this in place and bewm.

Your through hole solder pads look awfully close
I think it's because it's zoomed out. I thought that too but grid and sizes match the datasheet.

Last edited:
DIY BGA you say... Dammit I feel a redesign coming on lol

Anyway like I said the i2c on the CXM4015AR is just for the main PS2 factory configurations, in normal gaming mode they are unused, that's why mine doesn't include them

Portables
Ah, fair enough. I'm going to be taking a few dumps of the i2c channels soon so I'll be sure to share them with you. You on the Discord?

Portables
Hoowee, my boards came in and damn.

goddamnit.jpg

I think I can still use this to dev with, that is the underside of the chip (with the original on top to check it's footprint). Hand measured those pitches and I think I'm 0.1mm off.

riser.jpg

This is the top side of the board and the footprint for my FFC is spot on. Really pleased with my first ever PCB(s) and I think I can get away with the CXM4015AR footprint for now and fix for the final version. More updates soon on scan doubler nonsense!

Here they are to scale with my finger.

smol.jpg

P.S Not sure about the acne on the board there, I ordered 3 so will use a nicer/smoother one to dev with I think.