Worklog Dumii - My first portable

Hello everyone, this is my first portable, the Dumii.

The goals of this portable are going to be:
-Be functional,
-Be beautiful

The planned features are going to be:
- Untrimmed Wii(I do not have the tools necessary to trim a Wii),
- 7" composite screen,
- clamshell design,
- 4 18650s,
- Battery protection and charging

So far I got PortablizeMii working with my 64GB Thumb drive(Which isn't Samsung :D) with the help from the BitBuit discord.

Tomorrow I am going to (probably) going to pick up my screen.

Last edited:

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Ayy clamshell for the first portable? That's a tuff one (At least for me, cause i suck at CAD...)

May i ask where you come from? If you are from europe i could help you out with that trim! (at least something i can & love - lmao)

Also I think that clamshells are easier then "normal" portables because of more space

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
There has been some debate over whether or not clamshells are great for beginners, but I don't think I would reccomend it if you're using an untrimmed Wii. At that point your portable is going to be so big that it would probably feel more like a laptop than a handheld. If you're cool with a more laptopish feel then go for it, but based on the screen sizes you've been talking about in Discord I'm not sure it's your best option.

Also, Nold does quality work so getting a trim from him would be really helpful to you, but I'd make sure you have at least a niceish soldering iron so that you don't kill the board.

So I got a working screen and tried it out and it works, but I accidentally broke the connector from the bluetooth module so I'll have to relocate it

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Wait, if you plan on a laptop type of portable, a "clamshell" is fine, unless you want a box or something. Because you don't plan to trim the board at all.
But if you plan intergrated controls, Landscape would be better.

Wait, if you plan on a laptop type of portable, a "clamshell" is fine, unless you want a box or something. Because you don't plan to trim the board at all.
But if you plan intergrated controls, Landscape would be better.
I plan to not have integrated controls, but rather to use a Wii remote