Worklog Switch-alike Portable

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Every thing is so tightly packed, but at the same time incredibly clean and tidy. It's all laid out so well. Screw posts, neat wire paths, and so much more to appreciate. I love this project so far. Cannot wait to see it complete.

Hey guys :)
Long time no see. I hope you are all doing well!
Unfortunately I had to pause the project for the past few months... My new workingplace is not finished yet :\ And on top of that it seems the Wii is broken :facepalm:. I don't get any video signal from it... Neither from the component nor the composite (if I remember that correctly xD)
I will have to order a new Wii to continue my work. So this will take a while :|
Thats it for the moment. I will post updates asap.

Greetings from Germany

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Hey guys :)
Long time no see. I hope you are all doing well!
Unfortunately I had to pause the project for the past few months... My new workingplace is not finished yet :\ And on top of that it seems the Wii is broken :facepalm:. I don't get any video signal from it... Neither from the component nor the composite (if I remember that correctly xD)
I will have to order a new Wii to continue my work. So this will take a while :|
Thats it for the moment. I will post updates asap.

Greetings from Germany
Great to have you back! I can't wait to see this project finished!

So I bought a "new" Wii as replacement... Unfortunately it seems to be softmodded once. As I tried to run the cheese installer an error occured and the whole thing shut down. A bit of try and error let me manage to run the installer a second time, now with a different error message :eyeroll:
Do you guys know a way to restore the Wiis isos (and everything necessary) to default? As far as I know this doesn't work with a simple update.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Half a year has passed :oops:.
But I finally got the time (and motivation) to resume my work on this portable.
Pic as prove ;)

New mainboard is in. Also the Wii2HDMI had to be replaced. I made some modifications for the layout.
Not so clean like the first one, but it will (hopefully) work anyways.
IMG_2533.jpg

Update:
It's working :D (image 2)
IMG_2534.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible, that the WiiHUD can get really hot? I think it has blown :/
What happened: I ran the Wii for half a minute or so and suddenly it shuts down. I wasn't able to start it again. The WiiHUD was very hot (some hot glue on top of it has melted) and only after desoldering it the Wii turned on again.
I am rather sure that it was my fault... But I'd like to understand what I did wrong. The WiiHUD was fully soldered, only the speakers were not connected.

And on top of that I can't get the GC+ working -.-*
Nor can I get any original controller to work.
I'm going to sleep:(

Last edited:
Portables
Pic as prove ;)

New mainboard is in. Also the Wii2HDMI had to be replaced. I made some modifications for the layout.
Not so clean like the first one, but it will (hopefully) work anyways.
View attachment 6293

Update:
It's working :D (image 2)
View attachment 6294
That looks really great
I also had the idea to build a WII switch and wanted to try this as a second project,
but I was playing with the idea to make the controller removable
And finally a German-speaking member: D

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Is it possible, that the WiiHUD can get really hot? I think it has blown :/
What happened: I ran the Wii for half a minute or so and suddenly it shuts down. I wasn't able to start it again. The WiiHUD was very hot (some hot glue on top of it has melted) and only after desoldering it the Wii turned on again.
I am rather sure that it was my fault... But I'd like to understand what I did wrong. The WiiHUD was fully soldered, only the speakers were not connected.

And on top of that I can't get the GC+ working -.-*
Nor can I get any original controller to work.
I'm going to sleep:(
Hmm this is new to me, I never had one of those amp getting hot. Can you post a picture of the wiring? Also sadly I don’t have replacement ones. I can order parts for it, but it will take a while

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
oooooh boi, that looks noice!

I know what you mean.. i should be working on the DreamPad, too :(

lol - and he is not alone B|

That looks really great
I also had the idea to build a WII switch and wanted to try this as a second project,
but I was playing with the idea to make the controller removable
I have some pretty ambitious ideas for the next portable, if I were to make one ever again. :D
Practically the same design as my Swiitch, but with the focus on Wii games. Detachable controllers (nunchuck and wiimote), working wirelessly. Would be fun to design that thing.
Unfortunately so many things broke in my current portable that I'm dwarfed to build another one.

Portables
I have some pretty ambitious ideas for the next portable, if I were to make one ever again. :D
Practically the same design as my Swiitch, but with the focus on Wii games. Detachable controllers (nunchuck and wiimote), working wirelessly. Would be fun to design that thing.
Unfortunately so many things broke in my current portable that I'm dwarfed to build another one.
I am currently working on my first Wii Portable based one JacksonS WiiSP 2.0 with GC+, Classic+ (but it isnt working so far) Infrarot Sensor and a IC to switch between the Controller Modes :)