Question Playing Wii/Gamecube Games via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
Okay, I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, and I apologize for asking it again, but what is the preferred way to play games via usb and is there a link to a guide for it?

I have done a lot of searching on this topic both recently and in the past, and the problem isn't that I can't find the answer, the problem is I find a lot of answers but they all seem to be outdated and when I try one and fail and search for why, I find someone saying "this method doesn't work anymore" or something similar.

I am going to use this for my Wii Laptop I just finished. I already have Homebrew installed and I have USB Loader GX on there. I had a USB drive I had used previously that was formatted to wbfs and I used wbfs manager to load a gamecube game onto it. But I never could get USB Loader GX to recognize the game.

Thank you in advance for your help.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
PortablizeMii is the method that everyone here uses. It allows you to play Wii and GameCube games off of a single USB stick, as well as lots of other cool things. Be sure to also check out the PortablizeMii subforum in the Wii forum for more information on how to use it.

Portables
PortablizeMii is the method that everyone here uses. It allows you to play Wii and GameCube games off of a single USB stick, as well as lots of other cool things. Be sure to also check out the PortablizeMii subforum in the Wii forum for more information on how to use it.
Great, thanks!

Portables
I can run gamecube games okay, Wii games boot to a black screen. I've seen a few other people have this issue but their solutions didn't seem to apply to what I had (software comparability issues that I don't use, etc). I am using a 32gb SD card in a USB adapter, but it is formatted at 32kb clusters and FAT32. Is it the card or could this be something else?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I can run gamecube games okay, Wii games boot to a black screen. I've seen a few other people have this issue but their solutions didn't seem to apply to what I had (software comparability issues that I don't use, etc). I am using a 32gb SD card in a USB adapter, but it is formatted at 32kb clusters and FAT32. Is it the card or could this be something else?
Adapters can be janky, and Postloader and neek can just decide that they don't like a drive and refuse to work correctly. I had a drive that would run Wii games, but not GC games or emulators. I'd try using another USB drive, if you have one. Otherwise, the Samsung Fit 3.0 is currently the only "officially" supported drive for PortablizeMii. We recommend getting one from the official Amazon listing if you can, the capacity doesn't matter afaik.

Portables
Adapters can be janky, and Postloader and neek can just decide that they don't like a drive and refuse to work correctly. I had a drive that would run Wii games, but not GC games or emulators. I'd try using another USB drive, if you have one. Otherwise, the Samsung Fit 3.0 is currently the only "officially" supported drive for PortablizeMii. We recommend getting one from the official Amazon listing if you can, the capacity doesn't matter afaik.
Okay, I'll try that. If the problem persists then I'll report back for other possible fixes. Although at the end of the day it isn't a big deal, I'll likely just be playing gamecube games mostly anyway :p

EDIT: I do have a 4gb samsung flash drive that is formatted correctly already, so I put new smb on there just to check. I realize it isn't the recommended one, but it is still samsung so I thought I'd try. Anyway, it recognized the game but still gave the black screen. I'll still try to get one of the recommended ones from amazon and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Okay, I'll try that. If the problem persists then I'll report back for other possible fixes. Although at the end of the day it isn't a big deal, I'll likely just be playing gamecube games mostly anyway :p

EDIT: I do have a 4gb samsung flash drive that is formatted correctly already, so I put new smb on there just to check. I realize it isn't the recommended one, but it is still samsung so I thought I'd try. Anyway, it recognized the game but still gave the black screen. I'll still try to get one of the recommended ones from amazon and see if that helps.
Sadly, it's a game of roulette with which USB will work correctly. The only other thing you can do is try redownloading the PM pack and copying it onto the drive again.

Status
Not open for further replies.